Not My Name

"Ah, Wynra, it's good to see that you're on duty today."

I raised my eyebrow and looked over my shoulder at a smiling Loki, it was nice to see him in a good mood compared to the dour face he had been sporting for a while now.

Shaking my head, I let out a small laugh and continue polishing the set of plates I had been given.

"That's not my name," I sing with a smile.

"Damn it, just you wait, I'll get it someday."

"Mhmm."

This is a game that we had been playing for months.

I had come to work at the palace and enjoyed keeping myself to myself, I enjoyed the privacy of barely knowing or interacting with anyone, not to the point where no one knew who I was but more to the point where I was merely a mysterious ghost of a worker.

Just how I liked it.

I had acquaintances amongst the workers, but we never got close enough to learn too much about one another.

Naturally the ones who had hired me knew my name, but I had opted to remain anonymous to everyone else and this little quirk seemed to have picked up Loki's attention as he had started to make attempts at guessing my name.

"Constantina, there you are."

"That's not my name."

"Ah, working hard again I see, Vielle."

"That's not my name."

"Keeping up the good work, Aldane?"

It had become a routine that I took comfort in, I looked forward to crossing paths with Loki to see what name he would conjure up next.

A week and a half passed before I saw him again.

He and Thor had left on a little excursion, leaving the palace feeling just a little bit more quiet than normal.

I took some time to myself in the palace library, perusing the books before picking one and slinking over to one of the large, plush couches they had set up in the middle.

This was one benefit I loved about working in the palace, they allowed you just a bit more freedom in your downtime to roam the grounds for entertainment.

Draping myself over the couch, I propped my legs up and opened my chosen book.

I managed to get peace and quiet for ten and a half chapters, no one had come in to bother me and the story was flowing so wonderfully that I barely felt time pass.

As I was reaching a pivotal part of the plot, I heard the library door open and close with a click then the sound of boots thudding on the tiled floor.

"Vica, there you are."

I sighed and lowered my book to peer over it and catch Loki's typical smirk, the one he gave me every time he tried to get my name.

With a roll of my eyes, a smile and a shake of my head, I looked back at my book.

"That's not my name."

Loki let out a long, drawn out sigh and sat down in one of the chairs opposite to where I was lounging, his long legs splayed out and his head resting on his closed fist.

He looked tired, with dark circles under his eyes and tousled hair, but he looked quite content.

"How was your trip?" I asked.

"Boring," he shrugged, "it was just a courtesy trip to show our face in another realm, have to keep relationships cordial, you know?"

"I see," I laughed with a nod. "At least you're home to your library now."