Selfish

Stepping into the room, I carefully nudged the door closed with my hip until the latch clicked into place and then walked towards the large bed where Loki was sleeping, splayed out and snoring lightly in his crumpled clothes.

My foot nudged one of the many wine bottles that lay empty around the room, though it thankfully didn't make a lot of noise.

Carefully stepping over it and other discarded items, I set down a goblet of cold water on his side table and sat down on the edge of the bed.

Reaching over, I hesitated briefly to admire his peaceful expression and couldn't help but smile, then I shook his shoulder and gently called his name.

"Come on, buddy, it's time to get up."

Loki let out a soft groan and half rolled over onto his back, letting out a small and incomprehensible grumble of something or other.

I rolled my eyes and looked him over, admiring him in a vulnerable state where he didn't hold himself up with pride and an annoying tinge of arrogance. Instead he led there, relaxed and free from any of the pain he had been in or was about to be in once he awoke fully.

Though one part of him was already awake, making me clear my throat and look away.

"Seriously, Loki, come on, you had your fun now get up and help me tidy."

"No, I'm celebrating."

"No, you celebrated last night, now it's time to get up and clean."

"I'm a Prince, I don't clean."

"Oh dear Odin," I sighed, rubbing my forehead, "now I can see why she divorced you."

"Hey!" He shot up, momentarily glaring at me until his face contorted in pain and he covered his eyes with a loud groan.

With a soft sigh, I moved his hair away from his face with one hand while holding the other one out, offering some capsules that the healers had given me to help ebb away the discomfort of an immense hangover.

He glanced towards the offered goods and gave me a faint smile, plucking them up with his fingers and popping them into his mouth. As he did this, my eyes flickered towards the goblet on the side, causing him to look over and then shift to stretch across the bed and pick it up, using the water inside to wash the capsules down.

"Thank you."

"Think nothing of it," I smiled. "Now, you were saying?"

"I was going to say that I divorced her, not the other way around."

"Okay, I'm sorry."

My stomach churned just at the mention of her, my blood also went cold and my hands started to shake to the point where I clasped them together in the hopes he wouldn't notice.

That was always my reaction.

When I had first heard he'd had a crush, my mind wouldn't shut up about the prospect of him and this girl dating.

When I had first heard that they had started dated, my heart would squeeze painfully and everything went cold but being his best friend I had to be there. I didn't want to listen and learn more about them and yet I couldn't help myself if someone had something to say.

Then I had heard that he had proposed and my already pained heart shattered to pieces that I struggled to pick up, even years later I was still finding small pieces that I had lost.

However, I stuck by my best friend duties and stuck by him, I smiled when the time was right, I was supportive during news that broke me and I pretended that everything was perfectly fine.