Slightly Mistaken

It was late when we arrived in Asgard, so rather than have people woken and rounded up to announce our arrival we simply decided to let them rest and meet them at breakfast the next morning.

Better for me, as this was my first time in Asgard and meeting my future in-laws so this would give me time to settle my nerves and rest my weary ankles.

Carrying a half-Jotun was weighing me down, both figuratively and literally.

Sleep found me easily for the first time in months in Loki's grand Asgardian bed, the softest of cushions cradling my bump but not inhibiting my sleep, it almost felt as if it weren't there at all.

Thanks to actually managing to get a good night's sleep and being in an unfamiliar place, I found myself waking up earlier than I was accustomed to, much like I typically would at a friend's house if I were staying over.

Rather than lying around and waiting for Loki to wake up, I decided to go on a little adventure and roam around the palace corridors to see what I could find while getting completely lost.

Grabbing a black tunic and some long socks from my bag, I slipped them on and then snatched up Loki's signature jacket to cover me for a little bit more protection and warmth.

Before I left the room, I turned to blow a kiss to my soon-to-be husband, even if he wouldn't notice it, then I slipped out of the room and started waddling my way around the expansive and beautifully detailed corridors.

My jaw was dropped in awe at each corner as more of the stunning halls of Asgard were revealed, walls and pillars covered in intricately carved designs of runes and sigils I recalled from my many mythology books at home. Seeing them directly in front of me was something I could never explain well enough to give justice to the magnificence of the beauty.

The morning had proven to be pleasant and quiet, only the occasional worker passing me by as they rushed about to complete their duties.

It threw me off when, on a few occasions, they would look at me and then with a moment of hesitation and a look of uncertainty give me something akin to a small bow and a mumbled; "Good morning," before scurrying back on their way.

Despite the peculiarity of it all, I shrugged it off and continued on my mini adventure, once again getting lost in my element of being surrounded by things and beings that had only ever seemed like pure fantasy as I grew up.

At one point, I found myself in a wide-open area with one huge wall that was decorated in a dedicated mural to Yggdrasil.

The intricacies and details of the mural had me standing there unable to tear myself away despite my swollen, sore ankles and the ache in my back that was getting worse by the second.

I was only pulled from my reverie when a voice called out so loudly that it echoed around the room and near gave me a heart attack.

"Loki! We were wondering when you'd show your face."

I frowned and took a glance around the room to check for any signs of the addressed God, then turned to Thor as he neared with a wide smile and bulging open arms.

"Excuse me?" I just managed to get out before he wrapped me up in a hug and pulled me into him.

"It's so good to see you again, welcome home, brother."

"W-What?"

"It's a surprise to see you in this room as well," Thor pulled back and looked down at my face then at my protruding stomach, "and pregnant! My, we're full of surprises today, you didn't tell us you were the carrier in this relationship."

I frowned and shook my head, trying to hold in a laugh.

"I'm sorry, but I think you're a little mistaken."

"How long has it been since I've seen you in another form?" He continued on, his brows furrowing in thought, "I mean, for the long term of course, quite a while I think, even longer since you were female."

"Thor, I-"

"I trust that this is serious and not just something to send Father into another Odin-sleep."

"Thor, please," I burst out, placing a hand on his solid bicep while laughing, "I'm not Loki."

He blinked down at me and I swear I could hear the cogs turning in his head until finally, a look of both bashfulness and amusement crossed his features.

"I see, so you're his Midgardian?"

"I am," I nodded in confirmation, "you really thought I was him?"

Thor looked a little sheepish and shrugged, taking a quick glance around the room.

"But I don't look a thing like your brother," I laughed again.

"That's the thing," he smiled in return, "sometimes my brother doesn't look a thing like my brother, there are times he hasn't been my brother at all."

I could only nod, one hand running over my stomach as I gave thought to his claims and thought back on the stories I had read over the years and the few times Loki had shifted before my very own eyes.

"That explains a few things though," I mused aloud, "like the workers bowing to me."

"It became an eventual rule of thumb to merely accept that the one wearing Loki's leathers was probably Loki himself, he can be rather precious about others touching his belongings, let along wearing his clothes."

"How sweet," I smiled. "Just as sweet as you just openly accepting the fact that your brother would return as a pregnant woman without question."

"My brother is who he is and can be anyone he, she or they wish to be," he shrugged, "whatever makes Loki happy."

My heart fluttered a little and my hopes were raised about our child being brought into a caring family, to some extent, on their father's side despite all the stories he had told me over the three years we got to know one another.

Reaching a hand around, I massaged my back and let out a long sigh, Thor's eyes quickly looking to my hand before meeting my face again.

"Perhaps I should aid you to the dining hall, food shall be served by the time we get there."

I smiled up at him and nodded, sparing a quick look to the mural before linking my arm around his offered one and letting him lead me to our destination in slow steps.

"Thank you, Thor, I appreciate it."

"You're more than welcome, fair maiden, anything to make up for my case of mistaken identity."

"Honestly? I don't think I could have asked for a better introduction to the whirlwind known as Thor, a simple; 'Hello, nice to meet you,' just doesn't seem to fit."

"I am both honoured and unsure of how to react."

We both laughed and kept up a pleasant conversation on our way to the hall, Thor regaling me with stories either from his childhood or about the history of things I would point out as we went, until we finally met with Loki, who was stood outside the hall doors with his hands behind his back as he waited for us, a small smile of his own curving his lips.