Chapter 30

Rumours have been circling about a new, devastating Separatist weapon. One capable of decimating entire Republic cruisers, along with anyone who may be onboard. We have come to know this ship as the 'Malevolence'.

Anakin and I, along with Ahsoka and Cal, had just narrowly escaped our own deaths by saving Master Plo and a few surviving clone troopers from the destruction of this new ship. We had to go against orders given by the Council, but I was fine with that. Master Plo had been the one who brought both Ahsoka and I to the Temple. We couldn't just leave him to die.

The plan now is to prepare a counterattack of some kind against both the weapon itself and the one controlling it.

General Grievous.

Anakin, Admiral Yularen, and I are currently informing various clone troopers of our plan of attack. This particular strike force, the Shadow Squadron, is our only hope of stopping the attack.

"While our capital ships are vulnerable to the enemy's attack, I believe a squad of bombers can out-manoeuvre their ion weapon. Our target will be the bridge and, of course, General Grievous." Anakin explains.

The troopers murmur amongst themselves about the plan. I can tell they are eager to launch this attack against Grievous.

"Our bombers will attack at high speed to evade the enemy's ion weapon. We'll concentrate our firepower on the bridge superstructure, here." I say, referring to the hologram in front of me.

"We destroy General Grievous, and the ship will fall with him." Anakin says, as though the plan is super easy "Any questions?"

"Just tell us where that metal-head is, Sir." A clone in the back row says, standing up.

The clone sitting beside him stands in solidarity.

"Yeah, we've been waiting for a chance to take him out." He says.

The other clone troopers begin to cheer in agreement, all incredibly eager to take out one of the key players on the opposing side of the war.

"Alright men. Settle down." Anakin says.

"This is an important mission. If we can manage to take out General Grievous, we will guarantee a quicker end to the war." I explain.

I have such high hopes for this mission. If we can eliminate one of the Separatist leaders, we will gain a significant advantage. This could all be over soon. No more innocent lives will be forced onto the frontlines and no more blood will be shed.

"Pilots, prepare your bombers." Anakin orders.

The men get up immediately and forward out of the room. They are ready for this. We all are.

"Skywalker, (y/l/n), this is an aggressive plan." Master Plo says once the clones have exited. "Are you sure your squadron can complete this mission?"

"Let's ask them." Anakin says passive-aggressively. "Matchstick, you think our boys can pull it off?"

"Yes, sir." Matchstick says confidently "There hasn't been a mission Shadow Squadron couldn't complete."

"That's right. Minimal casualties, maximum effectiveness. That's us." Another clone chips in.

'Minimal casualties, maximum effectiveness' could be the motto for everything Anakin and I do on the battlefield. 

"I admire your confidence, pilot. Even so, minimal casualties may be enough to prevent you from breaking Grievous' defenses." Master Plo says pessimistically.

"Master Plo is right," Ahsoka surprises me by agreeing "With Grievous on that ship's bridge, it's bound to be well-protected."

I look to Cal, half expecting him to agree with Master Plo as well. He surprises me by not speaking up at all.