Chapter 96

I've been in a state of denial since this attack started. Every sign has pointed toward the truth, and I've known that, but I have been so desperate to believe it is all fake; a dream.

Everyone has warned me of the truth. The only problem was I was too naive to admit it. My young, loyal heart couldn't handle the pain of reality; the misery of heartbreak. Now, despite my best efforts to avoid the undeniable truth, I have nowhere to run.

The security footage displayed before me is undeniable. I can't run from the truth any longer, not when there is actual, physical proof right before my eyes.

Anakin Skywalker, the man I love more than anyone else, has become the new apprentice of Darth Sidious. The footage shows him kneeling before the evil figure of Chancellor Palpatine, pledging his allegiance to him.

"It can't be," I mutter, my croaky voice reflecting my shattered heart.

"I'm so sorry," Obi-Wan says in response.

My eyes are forced to return to Master Yoda and Obi-Wan when the footage ends. I wish I could avoid them for as long as possible, but that isn't an option. Not anymore.

Master Yoda seems exhausted by the ordeals of the last few hours, and Obi-Wan appears absolutely devastated. The only thing holding him together right now is the fact that he has Grogu sleeping peacefully in his arms. If he weren't responsible for the child, I think he would have already fallen apart.

"There must be a reason," I propose. "Anakin wouldn't just turn to the dark side. He...he couldn't."

I feel desperate to come up with any possible excuse. The man I know, the man I love, is not capable of what has happened today. He is loyal, brave, and goodhearted. He couldn't let the darkness in, not to that degree.

I'll be the first to admit that he is often controlled by his emotions, but we all are. Whether the Jedi admit it or not, emotions cloud our every move. That, however, doesn't make us weak; it makes us human.

"Anakin Skywalker, he is no longer. Consumed by Darth Vader, he is," Master Yoda contributes.

Darth Vader. The name is enough to make my body tremble with fear. The fear isn't based on the man currently living through my husband. The fear is centred on the possibility of never again seeing Anakin as the same person he was.

"Do you have any idea where he is?" I ask.

"He's no longer in The Temple," Obi-Wan responds. "We found footage of him taking an interceptor, likely off-world."

My wrist com starts to beep, and I know there's only one droid that would be contacting me. As always, her timing is spot on.

"Arthree?" I ask. "Arthree, do you copy?"

She beeps back, confirming that she hasn't been shot down by the controlled clone troopers. If I had lost her too, I don't know what I would have done. She may just be a simple astromech to most people, but to me she's family.

"Did you find Artoo?" I ask, hoping for a positive answer.

Her response brings me the exact information I need. However, it doesn't make me feel more at ease. Where Anakin is, or least where he's going, is not somewhere I would deem as safe. In fact, I would describe the planet as the complete opposite.

"Mustafar?" I repeat.

"What in the blazes is he doing there?" Obi-Wan questions.

Mustafar isn't exactly the type of place one would escape to. He clearly has a reason for going there, and I'm not sure I want to know what it is. There will not be any other Jedi on the horrific, lava planet; the Jedi are already dead.