Chapter 48

I still have a little time before I must meet Rex, Fives, and Echo in the hangar, but I do not wish to spend this time ending things with Anakin. That is something I would rather avoid for as long as possible.

During this spare time I have, there's a place I am visiting. The place where my memories become the most vivid. The place where everything between Anakin and I first began close to nine years ago.

The courtyard.

The last time I came here was when Anakin and I were assigned on the mission to protect Padme. After her and I had a slight disagreement, Anakin and I ran hand in hand through the Temple until we made it here. We stayed here for hours, simply talking and catching up with each other. We almost had our first kiss here.

I take a deep breath of the warm air, hoping it will bring some of my past joy back. The familiarity only seems to heighten my despair.

Echoes of the past fill this area. More happened here on that day than simply the establishment of my true power. This is the place where I met the love of life. If I look closely enough, I can still see our younger selves. A twelve year old girl is sitting on the ground, trying to lift a large rock before her. That girl is me.

"You're doing it wrong." A young male says.

Young Anakin. Somehow, he has managed to become even more arrogant since then. Regardless, I love him unconditionally. It's kind of ironic that the very first words ever exchanged between my husband and I was an argument.

"I know what I'm doing!" My past self argues.

The vision of the past fades out and morphs into another. I am now standing beside Anakin. From memory, he has just introduced himself to me.

"Are you at least going to tell me your name?" He asks.

"(Y/N)." My younger self shrugs. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have proper training to do."

I smile a little at the reminder of my original hostility toward him. I was always so excited to meet him– The Anakin Skywalker. He was legendary to us younglings. His initial arrogance toward me was disappointing to say the least.

This vision, too, fades into another. Now there is another presence with us. One that I have become all too familiar with since that day.

"I'm (Y/N) (Y/L/N), it's a pleasure to meet you Master–" I start.

"Kenobi." A younger Obi Wan replies.

Not only is Obi Wan more youthful here physically, but also emotionally. The War, and possibly training Anakin, has drained him over the years. He is still one of the greatest people I know, only sadder. Over time, I believe he may have come to regret his decision of not staying with Satine on Mandalore.

Obi Wan and I shake hands before the echo passes. I walk forward a few steps to the spot where the most remarkable event happened. My smug, younger self stands with a hand on her hip beside Anakin while he attempts to lift a boulder as part of a dare. I watch the echo as Anakin becomes weak, and I have to save him.

"Anakin!" I yell.

I push the boulder away from Anakin and discover my power. The two of us end up on the ground side by side, both feeling incredibly weak. I laugh to myself at the expressions plastered on our faces. Anakin's jaw is dropped in complete shock, and I look absolutely terrified.

The echo showing the reveal of my true power dissolves into my most fond memory from this day. The hug Anakin and I exchanged. Not only was it the first hug between us, but the first hug I have ever had. I can't help the joy that overcomes me upon reliving that memory.