Chapter 64

The hostility and distrust in the Temple has ceased.

Upon discovering that it was not a Jedi responsible for the horrific attack, everyone's minds have seemingly been put at ease. They no longer have to stress about who in the Order could have done it or what their motive was, for it was an outsider all along.

We arrived back on Coruscant a while ago with Letta and took her to a secure holding cell. Cal and Ahsoka agreed to watch over her for a few minutes until she was completely settled in while Anakin and I returned to the main area of the Temple. There, we met with Master Windu and Master Yoda to discuss the mission and what we discovered about Letta Turmond.

"We're holding Letta in the cell below the temple to await further questioning." Anakin describes.

"She hasn't said anything yet, but we're hoping she will say something by the end of the day." I add.

Just as I finish saying this, my holopad begins to buzz from inside my pocket. I take it out and answer the transmission, not bothering to excuse myself from the Masters beforehand. The figure of Russo, the droid who helped us find Jackar and Letta, appears in hologram form before me.

"I am pleased to report there were no other nano-droids found in the sweep of the Temple. I am also pleased to report, based on the security footage, Jackar Bowamni acted alone, which means no Jedi was involved." He explains.

I can't explain the relief I feel upon hearing this. I cannot imagine how the Order would have handled the situation had a Jedi been responsible. Given their often abrupt and conclusive attitudes, I doubt it would have ended well. Besides that, I can't imagine the detrimental impact it would have on my husband and the faith he places in the Order.

"Thank you, Russo, for everything." I say graciously. 

The droid ends the transmission, bringing my attention back to the man I love and the two Jedi Masters with me.

"I think we can guess her motives easily enough. Public opinion is swaying against the Jedi. That is becoming clear." Windu starts.

Anakin's face drops in what I can only describe as sadness. The idea of the general public turning their back on the Jedi Order is heartbreaking for him. There have been many times where he or I have suggested leaving the Order so we can be together freely, but I know he would never do that. Turning his back on the Jedi is something he could never do, regardless of the circumstances.

"This war is becoming less and less popular every day it persists." He finishes.

Master Windu and Master Yoda exchange a bow with Anakin and I before leaving our position. He and I then slowly proceed back to our Padawans, whose presence we can feel nearby.

As we walk along, I pick up on the unease of my husband. I know this entire situation is far from ideal, but there seems to be something more to it.

"There's something on your mind." I say to Anakin.

His walking pace slows a little as he tries to come up with the right words to say. As someone who always has plenty to say, it is unusual to find him at a loss for words.

"I'm glad we solved the case and all, but I can't help but think about what would have happened if it had been a Jedi." He explains.

"I understand. I don't know how I would have felt if a Jedi were truly behind this. But as you said earlier, there will always be Jedi who disappoint us, just like Dooku and Krell. As long as there are good Jedi who fight for what is right like Obi Wan, Master Ti, and you, it makes everything worthwhile." I explain.

His handsome face turns to look at mine as we continue to walk. A loving smile forms on his lips that reaches his eyes as he takes in my appearance. The look he is giving me makes my heart beat faster as I am again reminded of how much I love the man before me.