Mystery of New York

“Oh, come on, we’re talking about an Avenger versus an archaeologist here.” Peter said with a laugh as the pair walked into his lab. 

“But, think about it, just think.” Ned told him. 

“We’ve already talked about this before, there is no way Indiana Jones could be an Avenger. Can you imagine, Harrison Ford VS Black Widow - I think we’d make history if that happened.” Peter laughed. They’d been talking about this for over an hour now. 

“Okay, fine, maybe you’re right, but, you have to admit, it would be cool.” Ned said, standing on the opposite side of Peter’s tabletop. 

“What would be cool?” Asked a voice as they walked in. Both Peter and Ned turned to look at the blonde girl walking through into Peter’s lab. 

“A fight between an avenger and an archaeologist.” Peter stated. 

The girl gave a smile. “Ah! The whole, Indie Vs Avenger debate.”

“What are you doing here?” Ned asked, inquisitively. 

The girl gave a smile. “I came to see you, actually, Peter.”

“What about?” Peter asked, looking towards his invention, his eyes narrowing before getting ready to hit it with a hammer. 

“I was reading through a couple of files before and I came across this one, and then Dr Harnis flagged it up with me, and now I have exactly 3 days to study for it and since you’ve worked here for, like, ever, I thought you could help me study for it.”

“Study for what?” Ned asked. 

“Oh, it’s this thing Dr Harnis and a few other scientists have everyone do, we all do one when we’re new here. It’s like a test but without actually taking the final test. It’s odd but somehow, it works.”

The girl gave a short pause, “Sooo….will you help me?”

“Sure, just meet me here tomorrow and I’ll help you prepare for it.” Peter smiled.

She smiled back and walked over, leaning on his shoulder before giving him a quick peck on the cheek. “Thanks, you’re a lifesaver.”

Before she let go, she squeezed the top of his arm in a...almost flirty way before waving goodbye to the pair. However, Ned kept his eyes on Peter. Once the door finally closed, he spoke. 

“What the hell was that?”

“What the hell was what?” Peter asked. 

Ned tilted his head. “That whole thing. She kissed you on the cheek and then squeezed your arm.”

“And? I’m sure she didn’t mean it. I saw her do it to Jane on level 3 the other day, maybe it’s just her way of saying thankyou.”

Ned stifled a laugh. “I’ve seen people thank like that, but never in that way.”

Peter gave a short laugh, turning his back for a short second, grabbing a second tool. “Okay, look, maybe you think it’s nothing, but it looked like something.”

“Ned, why are you worrying? It’s not like she likes me or anything and I don’t like her, well, not in that sense anyway.”

Ned placed a hand in the air. “Okay, fine, what about the study thing?”

“What? She asked me to help her. I’ve helped others prepare for it. Plus, she knows I’m with MJ.” Peter said, before looking down at his invention before giving out a small, yet delightful yell of joy. “Ha! Found you! Who would have thought something so small could cause such a big problem?”