Volume II: VIII

Ominis' Point-of-View

I heard her footsteps shuffling over to the bedpost. The scraping of the corset on the floor was distracting. I stepped behind her while her fingers brushed against one another threading the corset. She pressed the material to her stomach and handed me the ribbon.

I wound my fingers around the band when I pulled them through each rung. I made sure to keep at least one forefinger in between the crossed satin when I tightened them against her. The material had no elasticity, and I did not want to cinch her blood flow. Her skin was too delicate.

"Are you able to breathe with how I fastened it?" I asked tentatively.

Her voice was rough as she let me know, "Yes. I seem to finally not feel light-headed from this damned torture device." Her inflection made me laugh under my breath.

"You were much more careful than Sebastian was," she hesitated before she backtracked, "this morning. I knocked on your door and entered thinking you would be there. But it was Sebastian instead. I had him help me with the rest of my dressing because I could not manage it by myself." Her voice shook while she flowed the words together too quickly. I could tell she was worried she upset me.

But this time she had.

If I were to leave for even a moment, would she choose to be with him over me?

"Darling, I wish to not be in competition with him. Please call a house elf if I am not present to assist you. I do not need Sebastian getting any of his signature ideas, even if his memories are Obliviated." My tone was cold and abrasive. I needed her to feel at least some remorse, so she would stop entertaining whatever it was she did.

I heard small sniffling escaping her as she cried, "Ominis. It was nothing. I just needed my corset secured. Please understand that." Her voice was apologetic but not for the reason I believed. She had really meant it.

"I understand. My family will not. Do not forget that." I warned her. Every single Gaunt in the manor had a vendetta against her, except Morganna—and maybe Marat. Marvolo had to be too young to hold a grudge yet.

I could not stay upset with her. I sighed to myself as I ran my hands down her sides. The corset accentuated her figure.

I took my fingers and brushed her hair to the side. Her skin was warm when I pressed my lips to the nape of her neck. My voice vibrated on her soft skin as I heeded my adoration, "I long for you. I love you."

Her dress skimmed the floor while she turned around to face me. To be truthful, I had not been this joyful in the longest time. I was to be married to the love of my life. My fingers traced the ring box in my cloak pocket; it burned softly against my fingertips.

"Shall we head back to the manor to feast?" Her voice was timid. I was not sure if I offended her. Perhaps she had felt guilty. Her tone was too quiet to tell.

Maybe she needed humor. I always managed to appear too tense, unlike Sebastian. He was playful and spontaneous, and even dangerous. Was that what she wanted?

A crooked smile played upon my lips. "I believe I'm already full." I wrapped my hands round her backside, and I could hear her as she shook her head at me and laughed.

I gestured toward the exit, and she went up the ladder first. As I emerged from the hideout, I drew my wand. I waved it at the trap door to enchant it shut. I listened for the small shimmery noise to hover over the wood.

"I do not need the children stumbling upon my safe haven." I smiled to myself. I extended my arm to her, and she intertwined hers in mine. I felt at ease when she placed her other hand on top of the one gripping my bicep.

"This will be the most eventful supper I have had in a while," her voice trailed off at the end. I leaned in and placed a small kiss on her temple.

"You shan't be burdened by them, sweetheart. Do not worry yourself with my family's strange behaviors." I stifled a laugh. I did not want to dismiss her concerns, but she appeared more nervous about this occasion than she was about defeating wraiths and Inferi.

We were almost back to the manor when I heard the tiniest crunching of leaves behind us. I pulled her arm off of me while I spun toward the noise. My wand lifted close to my face. "Who's there? Show yourself." I could feel the gruffness in my voice as I ordered the culprit to announce their presence.

The faintest whisper drew itself in the air, "Uncle Omi," and I instantly recognized Morganna's soft voice.

I let my guard down, "Darling, you cannot be sneaking up on me and your future aunt." I sighed loudly in relief, and my lips pulled to either side to form a smile. Morganna was most enthralled with the wedding and the idea of having an aunt.

She was too young to know Orion's wife and child, but she had met the some of the poor wives Milton kept as human trophies in the Gaunt mausoleum.

Morganna was a hopeless romantic, like myself. Perhaps, she could alleviate some of the tension at the evening meal.

I knelt down to her level and told her, "Morganna, please sit beside me during the dinner. If anything seems off, I need you to tap my chair. You know the ways of this family just as well as I do." My tone was more serious than I had ever been with her.

"You have my word." Morganna said in a timbre that matched mine. She threw her arms around me. I hugged her back.

Merlin had better be looking out for us this evening.