Volume II: XI

Marat's Point-of-View

My mind dreaded substantial crowds, such as these. Natural legilimency cursed my thoughts within every conversation. And what made matters worse, Xilia had cast the Imperius Curse on me to never share with anyone I had the ability. She also took it upon herself to have me debrief her on every single idea that was presented to me through others' minds.

Phineas Nigellus Black's thoughts were not substantial, but they tended to be loud.

Antoinette sounded familiar enough, but I could not remember her face. Was that the one who ended up defeating Ranrok? Or was that the Sebastian kid? No matter. I shan't care anyways.

His wife, Ursula, look distressed standing next to him. Her hands were full while she was attempting to herd her five children like sheep.

Her mind was only full of surface-level matters. I skipped over quickly as soon as I heard,

I need to discuss with Xilia about Morganna's future. Maybe she will be suitable for my Phineas Jr. or Arcturus—or even Sirius.

I watched her head peer around at the manor. I felt nauseous at the thought of Morganna being married off like myself. Sirius was sixteen-years-old. I would do everything in my power to avoid that. I clenched my fists beside me, and my breathing quickened. The vision in front of me clouded red. I smoothed my hands against my trousers to attempt to calm down.

I cleared my throat and skipped over their children. Their minds would be filled with even more distasteful imagery.

Phineas' sister, Elladora, arrived with Dinah Hecat. I sensed the tension upon their arrival, but I entered Elladora's thoughts to confirm. I did not pry as I sifted through her memories. Then, it came into view. Dinah and her were bedded together. I knew I would be right about that one. I smiled to myself at my own triumph.

Dinah's mind was more intriguing.

Aesop would truly be surprised to see her. Kassia looks exceptionally beautiful tonight. I worry he would fail at courting her once more. Poor man never can seem to catch a break after we three worked at the Ministry together.

Interesting. I hadn't known Aesop Sharp to be close with my Aunt Kassia. She never mentioned it. I looked in her direction. Her mouth was pressed into a thin, hard line while she eyed Dinah.

Her thoughts were scattered. Multiple images flashed at me, but one stuck out in particular. She was facing Sharp in the streets of Hogsmeade. It was dark, and rain poured down on them both.

"Aesop. If you expose that I am not a Burke, our status will be ruined. Xilia will murder me and then you, for good measure." Her face was extremely contorted with the small raindrops dancing upon her face.

"Caractacus Burke cannot be found out. If you rat our brother out to the Ministry for it, we will be done. I promise. I will tell him to stop doing business with the Parkinsons. He will not sell another witch or wizard overseas." The pleading in her voice was immense. The rain began melding with her tears.

Aesop responded softly, "Kassia. I cannot give you my word on that. I have committed many heinous acts, but I will not side with you on this just because I am in love with you." He bowed his head and left her in the rain. He did not turn around to take one last look.

The scene cut to a trial. I remembered when this occurred. My mother wanted to be present for Caractacus. He lied well with ease, but the charges were much more lenient than if he were not a man of status.

I left her memories to herself. I shook my head. I wished Xilia and Kassia would just come forward and denounce their name. That would have gotten rid of almost every problem this damned family had.

I looked over at Caractacus and his son, Herbert. He was only eleven, and he hadn't the slightest clue of the unforgivable acts his father committed.

My eyes flickered over to Perseus Parkinson II. His family had not joined him this evening. He was chatting up the Slughorns, Samuel and Daphne. She was very pregnant, and I wondered why she had a flute of champagne.

I entered her mind out of curiosity.

Look presentable. Look pious. I wish my stomach would cease to ache. Little Horace, you stop that kicking this instant. I do not need to feel faint.

Just as I thought. Meaningless streams of consciousness. She may as well have been a stone wall. No memories to pick from that could even entertain me.

I saw Ominis and Sebastian as they entered from the staircase. Now this could be something I wanted to see.

Sebastian's mind usually teemed with arrogance. I reluctantly listened in.

She was out of Ominis' league, even if she was not of high status. There was no way in Merlin's name this union would last. I don't even fancy her, but I just know she deserves better.

I could not take the angst from that boy. I quickly shifted to Ominis' thoughts instead.

Oh, I truly hope everything will pan out the way it is supposed to. I do wish my hands would stop sweating. Deek would be on the north side, while Klein was at the south. I need these memories for my pensieve.

I could hear her footsteps through Ominis' thoughts.

Morganna insisted on announcing. Xilia appeared frustrated that she offered, but I reminded her that she needed a chance to learn public speaking. She was an heir to Slytherin and would be a prominent figure one day.

Her voice was small but well-articulated as she gathered the crowd's attention, "Ladies and gentlemen of high society, please let me introduce to you, the mistress of the evening: Antoinette Madeleine Delacour.