Volume II: Alternate Ending VII

Kassia's Point-of-View
Manor Cape
January 1897

The small fire I summoned with magic crackled between Lailah and myself. Her eyes illuminated brightly against it, and even with how much time had passed since their deaths, I had to look away.

Flashes of Marvolo and Ominis playing together as children entered my mind, and I physically shook my head to rid of them.

Lailah noticed my hesitation and cocked her head. "Aunt Kassie. Why sad?" She seemed genuinely curious.

"I miss your uncles. And your father." I bent my head down in my hands, and Lailah waddled over to me and held onto my bicep for support.

"Daddy's in room. With mommy." Her head bobbed up and down excitedly, reminding me.

Her little words attempted to calm me, but she had no idea that her tone matched with the fact she called that man her father made me entirely frustrated.

No.

Pissed; that was the sentiment.

My head felt like a scale as I debated back and forth if I should attempt to reorient her. Ominis is her father, or rather, was.

Sebastian could play the role all he wanted, but he could never touch Antoinette. Her scales would slice the boy to bits, and I would relish in that fact.

Though, every day, she seemed weary. Her eyes always traveled around the room slowly each time she appeared from her chamber, like she was inebriated from Firewhisky.

It was quite possible that I resembled her. Aesop's death affected me the most; it felt as if my organs were empty. When I went to catch a breath, the air ceased. As a result, I spent most of my time lying in bed, waiting for death to overcome me.

But it never did.

Once I finally ate something, it immediately returned the way it came. Even my stomach and intestines were tired.

But worst of all, it felt like there was an eternal, gaping hole in my chest. Like my heart had been replaced with a heavy stone. It sat, unwavering as it crushed against my chest cavity. The sign of guilt and regret. And worst of all: Loss.

Perhaps my bones were turning into stone, as well. That could explain why my ribcage never expanded or contracted with my incessant sighing.

"Oh, little Lailah. I had forgotten!" I gently hit the heel of my hand on top of my head, signaling in toddler language that my brain was running slow.

"Silly Aunt Kassie." Lailah shook her head and resumed playing with her small collection of dolls.

Yes. Silly, indeed.

We were all so silly when we decided to move back to Scotland to watch over Marvolo while he lived with his other uncle. He only had two more years until he attended Hogwarts.

Despite my search, I came to the conclusion that Orion vanished, so I reached out to Marvolo via one letter.

Patiently, I waited outside the Burke Manor to see him receive it. I could watch him from my position behind the first line of trees. The disillusionment charm concealed me but not the gasp when he lit the envelope on fire in his palm.

No wand. No words. He cast a strong form of magic that fueled itself from hatred.

That only took place two weeks ago, and it haunted me every moment. He didn't want us as a family anymore.

And I didn't blame him.

Without his father or sister, or even grandmother, he would hate it here. And worse, he could latch onto Sebastian. I could not imagine him with Marvolo since he seems to be a poor influence for everyone around him.

I cracked my neck to the side and huffed at the thought.

"Aunt Kassie. Stop noises. Trying to play." She huffed in return and turned her back to me, so she could direct her attention to the dolls in peace.

Sssssssss. The tea kettle whistled at me, signaling me to tend to it. It was warm in my hands compared to the winter cold outside, and I held it too long.

A sharp inhale escaped me, and I looked down at the damage. Only second-degree burns. Now that was something I could manage.

However, Antoinette saw the entire interaction, and her eyes crinkled when she locked them on mine.

Once she approached me, she took her wand and flourished it above me. "Episkey."

"Kass. Why do you do these things to yourself?" She clicked her tongue sarcastically and took my place. Her hands moved methodically while she poured me a cup.

I ignored the shakiness of her hand when she passed the saucer to my own fingers; my clenched hands trembled, too. We were never alone in our grief.

"I've been sent to ask you." Antoinette swallowed and cleared her throat, "Sebastian wants to know how to remove the scales."

"I've told you this once before, Antoinette. We can't." I set my cup and saucer down and spread my palms across my eyes at the thought.

"You'll die from blood loss first. But you could also die from loving anyone other than Ominis, so you best be careful with what you're entertaining with Sebastian." I raised a suspicious eyebrow at her, and she rolled her eyes in defense.

"He wanted to know. Not me. You can't think so lowly of me." She leaned her body against the counter and heaved a large breath.

I rubbed my hand lightly across her back and spoke quietly, so that Lailah wouldn't hear, "I know where your loyalty lies, but Sebastian can be persuasive. Manipulative. Just be careful. For your daughter's sake."

Her eyes pierced mine, and we simultaneously nodded in agreement at each other.