Volume II: LXXI

Iskra's Point-of-View
The Garden
March 1896

Xilia had taken both Marvolo and Morganna out to explore the village surrounding Carlisle. It was a kind gesture to allow me and Marat some time alone.

Though, I physically winced when I thought about her possible underlying motive; Marat had intruded on her mind many times to verify her intentions. He reminded me each time he noticed my scowling face.

Even still, I warned Morganna to press her necklace if she were in danger. We would come.

Morganna had been overjoyed to pick my attire for today, which included a large, beige sun hat with a sage ruffled dress. And pearls. I rolled my eyes at my appearance before leaving my chamber when the sun began trailing to the center of the sky.

None of it was my taste, but I entertained her choice.

Once Marat proposed, she would be my little girl, too. I figured she would love it if I played along.

Marat stifled his smile while he set down the small woven basket on the grass. His fingers gripped the checkered blanket draped over his shoulder, and he flipped it into the air away from me and laid it against the ground.

I kicked my sandals off into the neatly kept lawn and swished my skirt underneath me. My legs tucked into themselves while Marat stood beside me. He took his wand out and cast the severing charm at the bottle of champagne he held.

Foam trickled out onto the quilt, and we both laughed as it filled his glass. It truly was a scene from a moving picture.

Then, he maneuvered the sparkling juice in the same manner to at least make it seem like I was inebriating myself.

I could manage this life.

There had been a shift in my priorities. For the longest time, I had been so used to caring for myself, but then Marat stepped in. I never knew what it had been like to be tended to.

For someone to base their every decision, thought, and even movement on me had felt surreal. In the past, men had made use of me in their own divisive, demonic ways. And I had let them. I flinched and grimaced at the memories.

Marat was the one who taught me that it wasn't my fault. It never had been and that he would take care of me. No matter the risk, he would stand beside me in every endeavor.

While he whisked his life around for me, I spent my time plotting ways to steal him away from his mother.

Orion could have taken over as the patriarch of the home. He needed to look after someone anyways now that the majority of the Ashwinders were wiped out. He could've preoccupied himself with her instead of the memories of his perished wife and daughter.

He and I had briefly spoke about it before since we both bereaved loved ones close to us from our occupations. Orion's loss was definitely more lucrative than my Anastasya. It had been vengeful, and not at all by accident.

As much as I understood Orion, Marat deserved peace and an escape more than anyone else in this damned household.

"Iskra?" The voice that snapped me away from my own conscience had rang smooth in the air. His eyes appeared lighter, shining against the soft sky. The barely visible strips of clouds hung above us as he began removing the carefully wrapped sandwiches and rest of the luncheon.

He and Morganna spent the early hours letting me rest while they prepared this quaint date for us two. Or as Morganna called it, "Mother and Father time."

However, Marvolo could not have been more displeased with the wording. He held general contempt toward me since Xilia redecorated a guest chamber for the rest of my stay.

I understood my place in his life. In turn, I kept my distance as much as I could and only spoke to him if he initiated. Or if it needed to happen.

He didn't ask for this, and I knew that. Leaving space between us had been for the best. Best not to force it.

Marat took my chin in his hand and mirrored the troubled look on my face, "What's pestering you, my love?"

I knew my tone wasn't convincing enough when I spoke, "Nothing."

"Please. Tell me. I don't want to sift through your thoughts. You know that." Marat begged. His brows drew together while his lips curled to one side, waiting for my true response.

I hesitated for several seconds before revealing what had been on my mind. "I have reason to believe that Marvolo doesn't want me around, and I'm starting to believe that may be for the best."

"No. I have the final say on the matter. Marvolo needs to remember that he's not my only son anymore." I watched as his eyes narrowed, and he placed his hand on my distended stomach.

"But he's your first son. We need to make sure he feels included," I folded my body to appear smaller while Marat wrapped his arms around me, "and loved." I concluded.

"Sure... Fine... However. We must remember that Marvolo will be in the eye of the public at some point. He needs to learn his role. Obstinance can lead to many things. Even death." Marat bowed his head ever so slightly and shut his eyes.

"Alright. But it has to be you. I would be wrong for me to discipline. Morganna feels one way about me, while he could not be more opposite. It's disheartening to say the least, but I respect him." My hands gripped Marat's forearms as I laid into his torso. His body was warm from the sun, and I could feel myself relax.

I dreamt in his grasp about a family who loved one another. A happy vision.