Volume II: XXXI

Sebastian's Point-of-View
Outer Hebrides, Scotland
October 1893

My cheek pressed against the silk pillowcase that wasn't mine. The cinnamon and vanilla scent emitting off it trailed down to the kitchen.

I stood up and made my way down the staircase to see Iskra standing at her usual spot behind the counter. She had been mincing garlic to put into omelettes. There was sausage in a pan waiting to be baked in the oven on the wooden tabletop.

Her voice was sweet when she looked up at me, "I hope I didn't wake you. You were sleeping so peacefully; I tried my best to silently get out of bed." Her gaze shifted back downward to her knife work. A smile played upon her lips.

My voice was still groggy from just getting up, "No, you hadn't. I was sound asleep. The smell of homemade breakfast woke me up."

The palm of my hand grazed against the back of my neck while I smiled softly at her. Her presence made me nervous but not like I was in danger. It was more that I wanted to impress her and not make a fool of myself.

"Sit." She instructed me. Her hand extended toward the chair across from her.

I complied, and she continued, "Today will be more difficult. I am to fight alongside you, but the disadvantage is I will not know what they have planned for us." Her eyebrows furrowed together while she rinsed the knife. Her fingers scrunched against the counter as she scooped the vegetables up to put them in the simmering pan on the stove.

"What was the most difficult trial you encountered?" I asked. Maybe she would indulge my interest. I had seen her bare body last night but didn't recognize these marks when she removed her cloak. Both of her upper arms had hundreds slashes that had turned to white scars.

Iskra faced the stove while she flipped the omelettes. Her face was hidden by the sides of her hair. "It wasn't an auror training trial. I had actually dueled Ranrok by myself in the Forbidden Forest. It was stupid. I tracked him down solo while I should have waited for Hector Weasley, my partner at the time. But Ranrok had me cornered. He put his arms around me and dug his nails into my skin until I was finally able to release myself and apparate away. It took weeks to heal these." She gestured to the indentations all over her biceps.

I clenched my fists at the idea that her partner did not even question her whereabouts. My voice was condescending, "Hector, as in Garreth Weasley's older brother?"

"Um, yes. Actually. How do you know Garreth?" She had plated the food at this point, and she began counting on her fingers.

"We were in the same class." I said. My voice was casual while I watched her eyes widen to the size of Galleons.

"How old are you, Sallow?" Her voice resonated at a higher pitch as her eyes darted from me to the breakfast waiting for her.

"I just turned nineteen last month." I gave her my signature smile. Now, I knew why she was so stressed. Perhaps she fancied me and just realized our age difference. I chuckled to myself.

"What could possibly be so humorous?" Iskra rolled her eyes after hearing my laugh.

"Nothing. How old are you, Krum?"  My voice had a hint of sarcasm to it.

She mumbled at first, "Twenty," but then she cleared her throat and spoke directly at me, "Twenty-six."

"Oh," my voice had a hint of surprise to it, "An older woman." I smiled wryly at her and grabbed my plate off the counter and began eating.

She scoffed as she sat down next me. We ate in silence until it was time to go.

"Ready?" Iskra's voice was deeper than normal. I nodded in her direction and followed her out of the cottage.

The air was much colder today than it had been since I started training here. It burned against my eyes.

In front of us stood a pedestal with what appeared to be Iskra's music box resting on top of it. She peered over at me and said, "On the count of three, we will grab it together. It's a portkey." She coughed into the cold air and her cloud of breath rose up into the space between us.

"One...two...three," She spoke clearly. Our hands grasped the edges of the wooden box while the wind whipped around us. The feeling was uncomfortable when we flew through the air, and it was even worse when we stumbled onto a hard surface.

I had thought we would have entered another field or arena, but this was a large ship. The waves rocked against the sides of the giant sails. We stood up simultaneously and drew our wands. The deck was silent, except for Iskra. Her voice was teeming with excitement, "You can end the lives of these wizards, Sebastian. This may be a trial, but it is also your first assignment." She smiled fiercely at me.

The ship was fairly empty. Four sails blew in the air sporting a boring cream color, and some barrels and crates were scattered about the area. There was no man at the wheel, and the chambers where the captain would be seemed to be bustling inside.

Iskra began scouting the area, and I nodded at her to let her know I was going to explore the other side of the ship. I headed toward the captain's quarters while crouching as low as possible. The windows were illuminated, and I rose up just far enough to peer inside. Ten men sat around a circular table pointing at a map.

I whisked around at the sound of Iskra struggling. She was at the other end of the dock. Her eyes locked on mine while one of the enemies wrapped their arms around her neck. I had to think quickly. I sprinted toward her and threw a cast at the pirate. "Relashio," I yelled.

Iskra was able to break free from his grasp, but now all of the men that were in the captain's quarters had filtered out onto the ship deck. I heard Iskra scream, "Diffindo!" And the man that had attacked her grabbed at his neck.

There was almost a perfect gash to where her line of magic spliced him. His head clunked and rolled onto the deck, and Iskra gripped her fingers into the dead man's hair. She hoisted him up into the air and threw his severed head overboard.

Way to make an entrance, Iskra.

Casts flew at as in all directions. I felt like the golden snitch on a quidditch field. I dove and dodged many attacks before crouching behind a large barrel. I moved away slightly to cast, "Incendio!"

Some men were engulfed in the flames, and I continued striking, "Confringo! Bombarda! Expelliarmus!" The fire began illuminating the ship.

Iskra turned to simpler spells. She had leviosoed multiple men and threw them overboard. "Depulso!" Her voice commanded her wand, and a wizard got thrown into two that were in the crossfire.

The fight was just what I needed. Killing was an outlet, and at least now I could do it safely under Ministry orders. I moved behind the barrel once more before hearing, "Sebastian!"

I peered around the wood to see a man strangling Iskra over the sea. He smiled crookedly at me when he relinquished his grasp and dropped her into the ocean.

Before I heard the small splash, I stood up to see he was the only man left standing. I leaned into my cast as I screamed, "Avada Kedavra!" Fucking bastard. He had to pay for that.

The green flash of light shone against the entire ship. I hadn't even waited for him to fall before I dove over the side of the boat.