Chapter 17.

Why the hell Roman trusted Virgil, he wasn't sure. I mean, sure, he seemed nice, and he was helping them, but this kid was a complete stranger and Roman wasn't exactly sure that he wouldn't run at the first chance. However, when he glanced back towards his brother, he could see that Remus wasn't doing great, and Roman knew he wasn't either. The suit had taken the brunt of the creature's attacks, but Roman could still feel the beginnings of a bruise on his face and his chest.

"Okay. You just need them to move?"

"Yes." Virgil nodded.

"Alright." Roman cleared his voice, and did his best theater projection voice. "Hey, back off a bit and give the big guy room. We got a plan."

"You're sure?" Janus asked in between breaths.

"Yeah. Just keep him distracted." Roman said, before stumbling forwards into a run. He saw Virgil run towards a spot by the door, but was soon too focused on the creature in front of him to worry about anything else. Roman waved his sword around a bit to get the monster's attention, before watching as its hand came towards him. He took a swing with his weapon and watched as the sharp edge cut into the creature. He pulled it back quickly, spinning a bit from the extra force it took to pull his sword out. The monster made a weird noise with its face-mouth, almost like a whistling grunt, before turning the rest of the way over to face Roman.

Then, Roman watched as the monster just... poofed. It poofed. This giant monster with a face-mouth who had just been throwing them around like ragdolls suddenly just exploded into a pile of blackish gray dust and small rocks. The dust covered Roman's suit, as well as the others who were close by, and the smell of ozone and cat shit began to permeate the space. Then Roman saw the arrow.

"You did it Pa-Pink!" Roman heard Virgil's voice from inside his helmet.

"What... what just happened?"

"Who cares! Fuck that thing!"

"Lang- Language." Patton's voice was trembling a bit. Roman could see him stand up from behind a piece of the floor rubble, albeit a bit shakily. Roman quickly let go of his sword, which dissipated into a red light, and ran over to Patton to help him.

"Who are you?" A voice came from somewhere off behind Roman. Roman turned, and finally saw why Virgil hadn't been calling Patton by his name. A group of people who hadn't made it out of the building, all either dusty, injured, or both, were beginning to move from hiding places that Roman hadn't seen in the heat of the fight. "You saved us!"

A group of excited mummers rose among the people nearby. Normally, Roman would have been ecstatic at the idea of compliments and praise, but he was worried about Patton, who seemed to be struggling to stand under his own weight. "Okay. We need to leave."

"What? Why?" Janus asked, walking over to them alongside Logan and Remus.

"Because. Now let's go." Roman fussed, grabbing Patton and throwing an arm over his shoulder.

"We can't just walk out, they'll just follow us." Virgil pointed out.

"Well we need to get out of here, and fast." As if the suit had heard what he was saying, Roman felt a similar weightless feeling to what he'd felt when he had grabbed the bracelet, and was suddenly facing the others from inside the forest where they had been earlier.

"We could do that this whole time??"