Chapter 85.

Logan had stayed with Janus for a moment once they reached the hospital, making sure that there was nothing he could do. Logan knew he probably had a few injuries himself, but he had no excuses on where he had received them. So instead he kept his arms crossed over his chest as the doctor's began to check on Logan's injured friend.

Friend.

Logan was beginning to think that was not the most appropriate term, as the others had begun to feel like more of a family. Even though he was angry at Roman, he hurt knowing that he'd said what he had. It was Logan's fault as well. He should have taken better care of the chip that Virgil had trusted him with. He should have been more willing to stand up once he saw Virgil in the fight and help Roman convince Virgil to leave.

He should have saved Patton.

Logan sat in one of the chairs that the nurse had brought in when Janus was admitted, and took off his glasses to put his head in his hands, pushing his palms into his eyes softly.

"Logan, honey." Janus's mother spoke, and he felt her hand rest on his shoulder. He looked up. "Is this about that fight between you and Roman?"

"Yes ma'am."

She looked at him, and Logan was surprised by the almost motherly expression she held while looking at him. "You need to take a moment to calm down. Please. I think you both need this time to pause, and think, before going back and talking to each other." She smiled, and Logan felt himself smile back. It was nice to have someone look at him like she did. Like a mom does her son. "Debbie and I are gonna stay with Jan, but you should go home. See your sisters. We'll call you when we know more."

Logan nodded, shifting before he stood up. "Thank you, Ms. Duplis."

"Good lord, call me Laura. We're there." She laughed. Logan smiled.

"Thank you, Laura." Logan corrected himself, adjusting his glasses back onto his face and walking out of Janus's room. He made it out of the hospital, only slightly surprised to see a cop in the waiting room, before shrugging and beginning his journey back to school so he could retrieve his car.

The walk was uneventful, for the most part. Logan was only able to get onto school grounds when he explained he was a student who was returning for his vehicle. It wasn't until he got to his spot that he saw Turbo's damaged windshield and hood. He hadn't remembered throwing any of the Beezoids onto any cars, but Logan hadn't been the only one fighting. The glass was broken completely, shattered into the front seat, and his airbags had deployed. There was a moment of frustration, before panic set in and he ran to the passenger side, swinging open the door and digging through the chaos of the inside. After a moment, he found what he'd been searching for. Patton's copy of Percy Jackson hadn't been spared in the attack, and the already worn pages and cover were now falling apart in Logan's hands. There were shards of glass that had been forcefully embedded into the cover and pages, and Logan only noticed when a few of them cut into his hands.

Even with the damage and pain of losing Patton, he'd held out hope that he could've given the copy back. They could still finish. Logan felt himself sit on the concrete, gently cradling the book in his hands as tears began to fall. It was irrational to cry. He would get Patton back. They could get another copy. There was no reason for Logan to be sitting on the ground by his car in tears. The car that had let him take Patton places. Turbo had given him a friend. The morphers had given him a family.

And the book had given Logan Patton. Logan felt a sob wrack his chest, and he stared at the damaged cover. He opened the pages, and that was when he began to see the pen scribbled through what they had already read.

"Logan asked what happens when plumbers come to the camp!"

"We kissed just before this chapter."