Chapter 89.

Virgil woke up in a bed, his head spinning and arm bandaged. He could hear Patton's voice from outside, and sat up slowly. He looked around, it was an unfamiliar space, and he was surrounded by stuffed animals. Virgil noticed the dresser, and bookshelf beside it, covered in trinkets and other weird bobbles that he figured Patton found interesting. He moved his legs off the bed, stumbling under his weight and groaning at the pain that shot through him. He reached his hand back to his neck, where he could feel a gauze patch over his scar. Had Patton removed his chip?

The pink ranger came in, still talking with two men Virgil didn't recognize, and saw his friend balancing on his feet. "Virgil! You're up!"

"Where are we? Is the chip-"

"It's still in, but they aren't working!" Patton rushed over as Virgil's legs shook, getting him to sit back on the bed. "This is my room, and these are my dads. I wasn't sure what to do once I got us out of there, so I came home."

"Do they know?"

"They do now." Patton nodded, sitting beside Virgil. "But they understand why I didn't tell them. They aren't mad or anything like that. I told them I would have to leave and stay at the Sanctuary."

"We're going back? How do you know the chip won't wake back up? What if she takes control again? Patton, I can't hurt anyone because of som-"

"Take it easy, Virgil." Patton smiled. "I'm gonna call Remus soon, and Lo can get his sister to do that surgery again. Besides, don't you wanna see Roman?"

"Who?" Virgil frowned, the name itched his brain, but he couldn't get to the spot and find out why.

"Roman. You're boyfriend. Red Ranger?" Patton looked at him with a worried expression, before Virgil watched a lightbulb go off. "She told you that you didn't love him. I had no idea it'd make you forget him." Patton shifted as Virgil watched, and grabbed onto his hands. "You'll remember once we get rid of that chip. I promise."

"Okay?" Virgil said, but he felt tears prick his eyes. He pulled his hand away and wiped them. "I don't know why I'm crying. I don't-"

"It's okay, we'll work it out." Patton said, "But first, we gotta get back."

"What time is it, anyway?"

"Like, eight a.m., or something."

Virgil nodded. "You're pretty confident that Remus will be awake right now."

"I'm confident one of them is." Patton laughed, before standing back up and walking back out his door. Virgil waited, grabbing onto one of the stuffed animals and wrapping his arms around it. It didn't feel right, and there was a smell that Virgil was missing. Patton came back with a phone in hand. "Alrighty, all their numbers are in my phone."

Virgil rattled off a set of numbers. "I was worried that if my phone reset I would accidentally text someone else about Ranger stuff, so I memorized a few."

"Who's is that?"

Virgil paused, "Remus's, maybe? I'm not sure."

Patton plugged in the numbers anyway, not pushing as he put the phone to his ear. "Hey! Ro- Yeah, we're okay! It's a long story, but- Virgil's here too, but Roman-"

Virgil frowned, listening as Patton was cut off by a frantic voice on the other end. He couldn't hear the words, but the sound of his voice made Virgil's muscles ease.

"Roman. Can you get Remus to come to my room and pick us up? We still have our chips, so we need them- Okay, thanks." Patton said, having only been able to finish one of the sentences. He ended the call, sliding the phone back into his pocket and walking over. "Remus is on his way."

"Who was that?"

"Roman."