Chapter 46.

Janus was so thrilled to have his phone back, and had spent last night jamming out to music through his headphones and catching up on social media tea that he’d missed while electronically MIA. Then he’d actually had his alarm to wake him up the next morning and make it to the bus. He’d even been in a good enough mode to dance subtly on the way while texting Remus about their date that afternoon after school. Janus had planned on grabbing a bite to eat before defacing public property with some spray cans he’d been given from Remy a while ago. He’d even stashed them in his bag to have them ready to go after school. He was admittedly really excited for his date, as he hadn’t been on one before and was eager to find out what it was like. What Remus was like.

Then Janus got to school, and made it in for first period class. His teacher even made a comment about his arrival after an absence yesterday. Then he’d snuck a headphone in and played more music while not listening to a word his teacher said. After that, he did it twice more before going to lunch and meeting with the others. Janus noticed Patton telling Remus about the book he and Logan were reading, while Logan was talking with Roman about something in Spanish.

“Janus!” Patton said as he sat down. “Oh my goodness, I have to tell you about the whole Percy Jackson situation.”

“Apparently the page protector enjoys fantasy.” Remus joked, scooting to be a bit closer to him.

“Really?”

“Yes!” Patton squealed, almost knocking over his food as he jumped from his seat. “We got to the part right before Percy leaves for his quest, right? And Logan likes to point out inconsistencies in the story-”

“I’m shocked.” Janus joked.

“But he’s so funny about it! We even had a joke about the whole thing where Percy gets claimed and he pointed out that it was the-” Patton adjusted an imaginary tie on his chest and lowered his voice. “‘-equivalent of a ‘Luke, I am your father’ in text message.”

Janus laughed, he’d never thought about it like that before. “I mean, yeah.”

“Right?” Patton giggled. “It is!”

“The gods are definitely assholes.” Remus nodded, “Hey, where’s Virgil?”

Janus looked around, but sure enough, the emo still hadn’t shown up. “Huh, I had figured he was late from class.”

Roman looked back to the others and switched to English. “He texted me earlier. Apparently his mom had some people she wanted him to eat lunch with today.”

“Poor kid.” Remus shook his head in mock sadness. “He won’t be able to push them away once they meet his charm.”

“Be nice.” Janus shoved him gently. “I imagine he’s annoyed.”

“You have no idea.” Logan muttered. “I connected our minds when he had not shown. He apparently cannot even get away from these guys.”

“Who is it?” Patton asked.

“Virgil says they are some club that specializes in finding things for “unproductive members of society” to do.”

“Oh god.” Patton muttered. “He’s talking about the Helping Hands club.”

“Wait, aren’t they the people that tried to shut down the play last year because one of the student directors had refused to donate to their club?”

“Yeah.” Patton frowned. “They are always on the student council’s case for some act of injustice in their minds. They even told Stephanie that she needed to help the needy more because she “Looked like she didn’t”.”