Chapter 42.

After the moment of panic that morning from Patton, Janus’s day had been boring. He’d been late because he was late to the bus, and had instead had to walk. He hadn’t been able to call his mom because she was at work and he still didn’t have a phone, so he’d spent the first bit of his day traveling by foot to school. Sure, maybe he’d gotten distracted and gotten himself a coffee at one point, but it was a free sample he wasn’t gonna turn it down, even if he had to wait in a line for it.

After he’d gotten to school and corralled Patton, he’d spent his day making notes to try that afternoon with his powers. There wasn’t a lot he had, as he was honestly more interested in getting to see everyone actually test their abilities today. At lunch, he’d met up with the others and asked them if they should try morphing today, to see if they could figure it out, but he was met with hesitant ‘maybe’s and ‘if we have time’s. Except Remus, who seemed a bit too excited. Then he’d spent his remaining classes counting down the minutes until he could go to the Sanctuary and hang out for a bit.

At 3 pm, Janus shot up from his chair and was first out of the classroom. He tugged down his beanie as he walked as fast as his gay legs would carry him to the library, where he discovered he wasn’t even the first one there.

Patton, Logan, and Remus all waved at him as he got closer. They stood outside the library, talking in a circle by the door.

“Hey, any reason-”

“Shhhhh!” Remus fussed.

“What?” Janus whispered back.

“Remus believes that there is a meeting happening in the library right now. He would really like to eavesdrop.” Logan explained in a normal volume.

“Wh- Wha-” Remus stuttered dramatically, gasping for effect. “And what if the Dragon Witch is in there? Planning her next move? What if we are missing out on everything because you are shaming me?”

“Remus, it is clearly a meeting between a few of the teachers about the upcoming senior trip.”

“It could be code!”

Patton giggled, before the door opened, and a few teachers walked outside. They apologized about hogging the library, a few taking a double take at seeing these four specifically together, before they left and Remus barged in. Janus followed at the back, before pausing to see a similar, familiar face round the corner with another. Virgil was wearing a hoodie today, and seemed to be the happiest Janus had seen. His arms were shoved into the pockets and his hood was up, allowing him to ignore his posture without looking as bizarre.

“You two are the last ones! Come on!” Patton said, poking his head back outside to wave Roman and Virgil into the library. They hurried to catch up, and Janus watched as Roman reached back to Virgil with his hand and Virgil accepted. Roman pulled Virgil into the library and past Janus, who laughed before following the small train of people to the back of the library and through the portal to the Sanctuary.

Janus wasn’t sure he’d ever get used to the feeling of weird jello that he walked through to get to the Sanctuary, but the end result was well worth it. Just the knowledge that he didn’t have to ignore the buzzing, electric feelings in his arms like extra veins made him feel so much better.

Janus was last through the portal, before Remus closed it and Roman cleared his voice. “Okay, so, gameplan.”

“We had one?” Remus grinned.

“Very funny. So first off,” Roman held up his bookbag, and Remus shrugged off his own.

“We bringeth snacks!” Remus said. “Since the lounge has a kitchen, we figured we would bring snack foods and drinks so we could stay healthy.”