Chapter 43.

Virgil was comfortably sitting in his chair with most of his body hidden in his hoodie. He was so glad his mom had given it back to him last night, and that he’d been able to sneak it into his bag for school today. Virgil watched as Roman attempted to light the floor on fire, already trying to plan a way to get water from the bathroom if things went south, but had been pleasantly surprised that he hadn’t needed to.

Virgil thought back to the conversation he and Roman had had on their ways to the library. Roman had told him about their mom’s antics last night, and her agreement with Roman. He then talked about her demanding that she ride with them to school that morning and be there to pick them up at 5:30, something that she’d always had a driver do before. Virgil had done his best to see the positive, and reminded Roman that she probably had felt guilty after what Roman had said. His friend had gone quiet, before he’d asked Virgil what his plans were for the weekend. Virgil had told him that his plans mainly revolved around unpacking and then probably exploring the city a bit. Roman had surprised him by asking if he could join in Virgil’s wanderings of the city, and Virgil had agreed to it under the condition they listen to Virgil’s music.

Virgil was shaken from his thoughts as he began to feel warm, not too hot, not too cold. Not being cold was what had surprised him. He looked to the others, who were all fanning themselves. Roman was in the center, glowing again, and Virgil could see heat waves that danced around him like they were encouraging more.

“Thank you, Roman. Let’s turn focus on your fire abilities, please.” Logan said, adjusting his tie as Patton pulled off their glasses to rub off the steam building up on the lens.

“Virgil, how are you still in that hoodie?” Janus asked, fanning himself with his beanie.

Virgil just shrugged. “Not hot, I guess.”

Roman gasped dramatically as he dimmed. “I will have you know I am very hot!”

“You keep telling yourself that, glow stick.”

“No!” Janus said, “I’m the glow stick. Roman is the lightbulb.”

“Exactly, because I’m always lighting up a room!”

“Except your brain apparently. You know, ‘cause lightbulbs are a sign of ideas.” Virgil explained.

Remus laughed, and Roman frowned. “Please stop giving my brother new teasing fodder.”

“Let’s all focus again. Roman, will you try lighting a fire in both hands?”

Roman looked back at Logan, before uncrossing his arms and looking at his hands. He was able to get one going in his left hand, but everytime he lit his right one, his left would go out. He tried switching the order, but the same thing happened.

“Try doing both at the same time.” Virgil suggested. “Like, cup your hands for a big fire and imagine them separating as you pull your hands apart.” He demonstrated with his own.

Roman nodded, cupping his hands in front of him like he was holding water, then igniting another, bigger flame in his hands. Then Roman slowly pulled his hands apart, and the fires split. Roman creased his brow in focus and closed his eyes to keep both going. Slowly giving one more energy, before pulling it back and doing the same on the other side. After a moment, Roman let both sputter out and he opened his eyes again.

“I refuse to admit that being hard. I’m gonna grab some water.” Roman muttered as he looked down at his hands, clearly unhappy with how he’d done.

Virgil stood up. “I’m gonna go grab a water real quick so I can practice with it.”

Logan nodded, and Virgil jogged to catch up with Roman. He fell into step with the twin and walked in silence. Roman opened the door for them both and they walked into the lounge.