Chapter 72.

Remus waited with his brother until the rug was a pile of ashes on the grass, and Remus gave it a solid kick to spread it around.

"You ready?"

Roman nodded. He looked exhausted. "Very much so."

Remus grabbed onto his brother's shoulder, before jumping to the clearing and opening the Sanctuary. "After you."

Roman didn't argue, practically running through the portal as Remus followed behind. The others were already there, and had set Virgil up on Roman's bed. Remus's brother was already almost there by the time Remus had closed the portal, and Janus came up to check on him.

"Remus?"

"Hey, babe." Remus said, planting a gentle kiss to Janus's forehead. "What's the situation?"

"Ella thinks he's gonna be out for a while." Janus answered, "since so much happened."

"But he'll be okay?"

"Completely."

"Good." Remus nodded, before grabbing his phone and checking the time. It was late, and they'd been searching for Virgil for almost ten hours by that point. Remus remembered Roman having panicked the minute Logan had reached out, before having Remus bring him and Patton over to help look. Logan had taken them to where he'd talked to Virgil. Remus shuddered a bit as he remembered.

"Who's gonna tell him about his dad?"

Janus frowned. "Logan already did."

Remus moved closer, wrapping his arm around Janus as he looked at his twin. Roman was sitting on the ground by the bed, holding onto Virgil's hand like it was the last lifeline he had. Remus remembered how scared Roman had been before too, he'd been pacing, and when they'd seen Virgil's dad, he'd gotten so angry. Remus couldn't blame him. He was angry too. They both knew what it felt like to have lost their dad. To wonder that if they'd just been two minutes earlier? Or a little bit faster? Remus could understand the anger, but he couldn't imagine how Virgil was feeling. Janus hadn't been there but maybe an hour or two, tops. Remus had never had to fight Janus because of some chip in his neck.

"Logan, Ella, do either of you need to go home?" Remus yelled out, but the Berry siblings shook their heads. "Patton?"

"I do, yeah. I'll be back tomorrow, though." Patton said, moving away from Virgil and walking towards Remus and Janus.

Remus opened the portal, and stepped out with Patton. "I'll jump you home."

"You don't have to-"

"I should have done it for Virgil." Remus said. "I should have done it for Janus. I'm not about to make that mistake a third time." Patton frowned, but didn't push, and Remus grabbed onto his arm, teleporting them both to Patton's room.

"Thank you, Remus."

"Not a problem, Patton." Remus said, before jumping back to the clearing and reentering the Sanctuary. Janus was still waiting, and walked over once Remus was through to wrap his arm around Remus's waist as Remus put his around the other's shoulder. He walked with Janus towards the others. "Did you text your parents?" He asked Logan as they got close.

Logan shook his head. "I told them I had a rather important test to study for, and would be in my room all day."

"Then I covered for him." Ella finished. "And I told them I was going to bed early. So as long as we're home tomorrow before they ask questions, I think we're good."

"Well." Janus's mom said, "You two can sleep in the lounge with me, and we have plenty of blankets now." Remus smiled briefly, remembering how many things he'd shoved into bags before the spider-guy had come, and helping the Duplis duo grab items from their house before that.