Chapter 45.

Logan led Patton to his car, before unlocking it and letting himself and his passenger in. Patton quickly grabbed the book from the glovebox, and set it in his lap as Logan set his computer bag in the backseat.

“Hey Lo?”

“Yes, Patton?” Logan said as he stuck his key into the ignition and buckled himself in.

“Are you enjoying the book?” Patton asked in an innocent tone as he looked down at his book. His fingers played with the creased edges nervously.

“Yes.” Logan answered honestly. “I wasn’t sure if I would, since it isn’t my normal work of literature, but I rather enjoyed what you read this morning, and have been rather interested to get back to the car for the next few chapters.”

Patton looked up and broke into the biggest smile. “Oh good! I was worried after Remus mentioned that it wasn’t your normal, but if you like it I’ll keep reading it!”

“Please do.” Logan said, “But buckle up first.”

“Right.” Patton said, grabbing the seatbelt and clicking it into place. Logan waited, then pulled out of the lot and began the drive home, reading the next few chapters about Percy waking up in Camp Half-Blood, and getting a tour. Patton read a few sentences into Luke’s first lines with an odd tone to his voice, which Logan wanted to question, but was actually worried about a spoiler. It had been a while since he’d read a book that had a spoiler in it.

Logan kept driving closer to home with Patton reading beside him, and had Patton stop at the mention of Percy blowing up a bathroom.

“He blew up the bathroom?” Logan questioned while looking at the road.

Patton giggled. “Yeah, on accident, though!”

“I am sure the people who had to pay for that did not care! Not to mention whoever had to fix this!” Logan said, a bit flummoxed as Patton just kept laughing at him.

“If-” He burst into more laughter at his own joke. “If only they could flush away their problems.”

“I will make you walk home.”

“You would never toiLET me walk.” Patton emphasized his pun.

“This is insanity.”

“You’re right. Maybe I should just…” Patton looked at him.

“Don’t.”

“Cut the crap.”

Patton burst into more giggles at the toilet humor, and Logan pretended to be upset, however he was unable to hide his smile as he turned onto Patton’s address. Logan pulled up to the house, and parked the car as Patton got back to reading and finished the chapter. Then he stuck the paper in between the pages and put the book back in its spot, before grabbing his bag.

“Thanks, Lo! See you tomorrow?”

“6:45.”

“I’ll be awake this time.” Patton smiled, before giving Turbo a pat on the hood and jogging inside. Logan pulled away and began to drive back home in silence.

His return trip was uneventful, as was his dinner. Logan had helped put the girls to bed, this time taking Millie instead. After that, he had walked to his room and done his little homework, all of which had been assigned that day. As he was finishing his required reading for biology, he saw his phone light up with a text message.

Janus: Hey friends, I am home, and I was able to play with my powers enough to get my phone to work. I don’t think it will work if I’m not touching it though, so I might not always respond on time. I was gonna let you know I won’t be able to make it to the Sanctuary tomorrow.