Chapter 51.

Remus spent his Saturday bothering Janus by phone, and then his evening bothering Roman about his rendezvous with the mystery friend. He theorized it was probably Virgil, but he couldn’t be completely sure. However, his brother let nothing slip, and it was driving Remus absolutely crazy. He’d gone to bed that night gossiping with Janus over his theories, and Janus texted that Virgil had mentioned to him that he was gonna be busy when Janus asked if they could hang out. It was absolute proof in Remus’s mind.

Then Sunday had been more boring than Saturday. He’d bothered Roman more until his brother had accidentally lit his own homework on fire and had to stick it in the sink. Remus had left him alone after that. He’d debated going and spending time with their mom, but she had been all kinds of weird after Friday’s chaos, and had left early to work on a Sunday. Things weren’t so different, after all. So Remus spent his day drawing and doing story designs of what he thought the first rangers looked like. He drew pictures of them on his throw away journals and books until that night when he’d crashed like he’d been working all day.

Until his brother woke him up at 6:30, looking like he’d slept horribly.

“Roman?” Remus asked groggily, shaking his head to wake up.

“Remus. I had another dream.” Roman whispered, clearly shaken up.

Remus sat up in his bed. “You wanna talk in your room?” His brother had never been comfortable talking about things that made him nervous if he wasn’t in his own room. He’d tried to explain it to Remus once, but all the brother could understand was that it had something to do with the way Roman’s room smelled.

“Please.” Roman nodded, and Remus stood up, following his brother over to his room and sitting down on his bed.

“Well, what’s the story?”

“So, I was back at that place again. At least, I think. It looked a bit different. I think it was a lower level or something. The Dragon Witch was there again, and she was arguing with someone over how the monster wasn’t supposed to be destroying anything, only retrieving the champions. Then she asked about the other leads.” Roman fiddled aggressively with the sides of his sheets, twisting them in his hands.

“Leads?”

“They said that they were watching them, and showed the Dragon Witch…” Roman paused to breathe.

“Roman?”

“Virgil and Patton.”

Remus’s mind flashed back to the computers. “How were they leads? They hadn’t even gotten the morphers when they were on that creep’s computer.”

“They said it had something to do with their ‘genes’.”

Remus thought for a moment. “We should tell the others.”

“I’m not even done.” Roman groaned, and Remus put a reassuring hand on his brother’s shoulder. “They said they would work on a more specific monster. Then she stormed out, and I followed, obvi. She called someone. She said…” Roman’s breathing was shaky.

“Roman, slow down. Deep breaths. The Dragon Witch stormed out, and called someone?”

“Yeah. She called someone she was referring to as the ‘representative’, again.” Roman paused to take a few more breaths, and Remus could see him twisting the blanket as his twin fought away panic. “She asked about some chip, but I guess she didn’t get a good answer. ‘Cause she threw the phone at the ground and screamed something like, ‘Why is what I need given to someone else.’. Then…” Roman took a deep breath. “Then she saw me again. She walked over to where I was and yelled at me for using capnomancy against her, before she asked about the burn.” Roman moved his other hand onto his shoulder, making rubbing motions where his burn was. “Then she came at me, but I was able to wake myself up this time.”