Chapter 79.

Janus watched as the others left, and his family walked out a short while later. Then he handed Virgil his phone and moved to sit on the couch next to him. "You got a plan for what you're gonna tell her?"

"No..." Virgil muttered. "Did you have a plan when you told your mom?"

Janus shook his head. "Not really, but I wish I had. Do you wanna just pause and exist for a moment before we call? Collect your thoughts and all that?"

"Definitely." Virgil answered, setting his mug on the table and leaning back against the couch. Janus watched him close his eyes, his face moving to smell the hoodie he was in. Janus smiled, looking away and scanning over all the pictures on the wall. He hadn't been ready to see so much when they'd come in here that first day, but the pictures had always been something he was intrigued by. They were designed so well, and Janus couldn't help but wonder who had painted them, or why they'd been done. Maybe the other rangers had people who did it for them. Janus was admittedly curious how many of the previous rangers had fallen for each other like his group had.

Janus glanced back over at Virgil. "You ready?"

"I think so." Virgil said, opening his eyes again and turning on Janus's phone. Janus gave his passcode, and Virgil went to the phone app. Janus watched him plug in an unrecognized number, before pressing call and putting it on speaker as it rang.

"Hello?" A voice came from the other end of the phone. She sounded a bit off, like her voice was strained to keep calm.

"Mom?"

"Virgil? Oh my god, Virgil! Are you okay? Where are you? Are you safe? When the police found your phone in the alley I thought that-"

"Mom." Virgil interrupted as Janus listened. The Yellow Ranger reached out his hand, and Virgil took it. "I need you to listen. I'm safe. I'm with people I trust. I just can't come home right now."

"Why? What's happened?"

Virgil took a deep breath. "I'm a Ranger, Mom. I'm one of those heroes."

There was a moment of silence. "Virgil. I understand that you may be scared, but I need you to tell me the truth."

"That is the truth, Mom. I'm the purple superhero."

"Virgil." His mother fussed, and Janus felt Virgil squeeze his hand a bit. "How on Earth can you be one of them, when I already know who they all are?"

"What?" Virgil looked over, but Janus just shrugged. "What do you mean you 'know who they are'?"

"They came and told me the other day, Virgil, so that I would know to be aware if they had to leave school."

"Who's that then? Cause I can tell you right now they aren't telling the truth." Virgil said, frowning.

"Virgil, you know I can't just-"

"Mom. I'm the purple ranger. Whoever told you they were is lying. I know the others, they wouldn't use it as an excuse to get out of school."

"Virgil. I know it isn't you."

"Then who? Who is it?"

"That club I set you up with. They came up to me on Monday to apologize for the damage caused by the monster, and explained that they were simply trying to protect the school."

Virgil sat quietly for a moment, basking in the news as Janus fought away laughter. "We are talking about the Helping Hands club, right?"

"Yes." His mother sounded exasperated. "Virgil. I need the truth from you. Where are you? I'm not mad, I just want you home. We need to talk about your fath-"