Chapter 20.

Roman was exhausted. It hadn't really hit him until they were all out of those woods, and he realized that their mom wasn't even there. So as he walked with Remus back to the lot, he called their mom.

Ring...
Ring...
Ring...
"This is Natalie Dukes of Relife Experimentational Group. Please leave your name, number, and a brief message and I'll have someone get back to you."

"Hey mom, this is Roman. We were calling so you would pick us up, since it's a bit far for an Uber. Call me when you can. Bye." Roman said, then ended the call, making sure to turn the ringer on. He sat down on the front steps of the school.

"Voicemail?" Remus sat down beside him.

"Yep." Roman said, sighing before looking down at his wrist. The bracelet had changed, now it was similar to a stacked bracelet, but all tied into one band at the bottom. They were all a soft rose gold, with different sayings from his favorite musicals on them. The top one read, 'Happy is what happens when dreams come true!'. The second one read, 'Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground.'. The third one read, 'Rise up!'. Then the last one read, 'Led by love.'. Roman smiled at the quotes. His dad's favorites to watch with Roman. "Did yours change?"

"Huh?" Remus said, before seeing Roman's wrist. "Oh, yeah." He showed his wrist to Roman, where a leather bracelet sat.

"Wonder why they look different."

"Maybe it's 'cause we're different?"

"Yeah." Roman muttered, leaning back against the steps of the school and looking up at the sky, which was now full of stars. "God, I'm exhausted."

"Me too."

"Remus?"

"Yep?"

"I blame you." Roman said, before glancing over at Remus with a glint in his eyes.

Remus didn't meet his eyes. "Yeah, me too."

Roman sat back up. "What?"

"I mean, if I hadn't done this, then we wouldn't be in this mess. I don't know what I'm gonna tell mom."

"You are a dumbass."

"Thanks."

"No." Roman shoved his brother. "This whole pity shtich you have going on. You got other people in your life. Plus, something tells me that we would have found a way into those woods with or without your help. At least this way, we were all together for it."

There was silence for a moment, before Roman's phone began to sing, "It's a whole new call, a new, fantastic, conversation!" Roman answered the call.

"Roman?"

"Hello mom."

"Why did you need to pull me from a meeting?"

"We are still at school. We had detention today. I sent you a text, but-"

There was a sigh on the other end of the phone. "Fine. I'll be there in a moment. I thought you two had already gone to bed. Was it Remus?"

"No."

"Then you and I will have a talk when you get home. Honestly Roman, I expect better from you if you are to take over from me one day."

"Yes ma'am."