Chapter 31.

Remus had enjoyed getting to spend time with the others that morning. Not many people wanted to be around him, since he looked like a detention slip waiting to happen. However, the others hadn’t made a big deal of what he’d done, and it made him feel nice to be liked like that. Remus had seen Emile in the halls on his way to pick up his books, and the two had talked for a minute. With Emile ending the conversation before walking away to class and leaving Remus alone in the halls.

He’d spent his first period mainly staring out the window and debating the risk to reward of teleporting out of this class and blaming it on Mr. Tekly’s poor eyesight. He didn’t, and had gone to his second period without any sort of bizarre explanations as to how’d he’d left the classroom. However, when his second period began, he felt his phone buzz in his pocket. He secretly pulled it out to check it, and saw a message from Patton with a video of them from yesterday. He bit his lip to keep from cursing out loud. He sent back a text.

Remus: Wait, did anyone see us turn back?

Patton: No, I just heard about it from a few of my peeps in my second.

Roman: Yeah, I just got told about it from a friend of mine.

Virgil: Well, hopefully that was a one time event.

Patton: You heard Romans dream tho. I doubt this mean lady is gonna back down that easily.

Remus: You know someone is bad news when Patton calls you a “mean lady”

Remus smiled, quickly sliding his phone back into his pocket as he opened his drawing book. He was grateful for remembering it when he’d gone back to change. He flipped through the pages of the journal filled with different sketches and drawings Remus had done while bored, until he found an empty page to start on, and began to draw out ideas as they came. They were mostly hero related, no surprise there, and Remus found himself lost in his little world until the bell rang. He went to his third and did the same thing, only pausing when he noticed he shared this class with Janus. Every so often, he would look up to admire the guy from afar. He wasn’t sure why, but Janus was really pretty to him. However, Remus figured he wasn’t Janus’s type, so he hadn’t really bothered. When the bell rang for lunch, Remus jumped up and walked out the door, his phone in hand to see which of them had lunch right now, before texting that he was gonna eat outside by the football field.

He swung by the cafeteria, and grabbed a plate, before walking out to the bleachers outside. He saw his brother first, before counting five more faces sitting beside him. Remus picked up his pace, hurrying to make the most out of their lunch.

“Sup Remus.” Virgil waved as he came closer. Remus nodded a hello, before sitting down next to his brother.

“So as I was saying-” Roman said, looking back at Virgil.

“Roman. I swear to god. I will not join your singing choir.”

“I’m sure you sing great!”

“Yeah, I do.” Virgil said proudly. “But you haven’t earned the privilege yet.”

“Yet!” Roman gasped. “There is hope!”

Remus grinned, listening to the two argue with each other before Logan interjected. “I found out we no longer have detention.”

“We don’t?” Janus said, pausing his bite of this week’s mystery meat.

“Nice.” Remus said, shoving a forkful of his own food into his mouth. He never could understand how it looked so nasty but tasted pretty good. “So what’s everyone doing today?”

“I have my GSA meeting after school.” Patton said. “You’re all welcome to come if you want!”

“I would like to attend.” Logan said. “Then after you and I can run some tests on our abilities if you are interested.”

“Sounds perfect!”

“I would love to come too, but my mom wants me home right after.” Roman answered, his shoulders stiffening slightly.

“She didn’t mention anything to me.” Remus said, looking at him.

“Yeah, she just- uh- she wanted me to come home early today to help her with some stuff.”

“Whatever.” Remus said. “I can come, Patton.”

“I can too.” Janus said.

“I can’t.” Virgil said. “I think my mom would have a heart attack if she saw me at a GSA meeting, but if you guys tell me where, I can meet you guys for the test or whatever later.”

“Okay!” Patton said, bouncing in his seat. “Oh gosh, I can introduce you to my friends there!”

There was a shift in conversation, and they all rambled on with each other as they ate their food until Remus heard the bell from across the field. They all began to get up, but Remus grabbed his brother by the shoulder and had him wait as the others walked off. “What’s going on with you? Did you take the fall for me last night?”

Roman didn’t answer, instead shrugging off Remus’s grip. “It doesn’t matter, Remus.” He said as he walked away.

Remus wasn’t about to let it go, however, and jogged to follow. “What do you mean, ‘it doesn’t matter’? Dude, you shouldn’t go around taking bullets for me. You’re the one that said we got people to lean on! Now we got extra, so why not use it?”

“Because Remus.” Roman stopped, but wouldn’t look him in the eye. “I’m not grounded.”

“So why can’t you come?”

“Because.”

“Nope.” Remus moved to prevent Roman from walking away again. “I will bug you.”

“Remus.” Roman growled. “Move.”

“No. What’s going on with you? You haven’t been talking to me for months now! Ever since Dad died, I feel like you and I don’t know each other! Just talk to me!”

“Remus!” Roman yelled, and Remus felt a burst of hot wind blow in his face. “Knock it off!”

“Roman!” Remus yelled back, not backing down even as the air around him got hotter. “No!”

“God, why are you such an ass?” Roman asked.

“If me being an ass means that you talk to me, then I’ll be a fucking donkey for all I care!” Remus said, and mimicked the sound of a donkey.

The heat faltered, and Roman’s anger cracked with a quick smile, but it was quickly smothered. “Remus. Please don’t push this.”

“I want my brother.”

Roman scowled at him, and the twins locked eyes. There was a moment of silence as the heat around the two grew unbearable for Remus. It wasn’t until they smelled smoke that the two broke eye contact to look at the ground. There was smoke beginning to rise from under Roman’s tennis shoes. They yelped, both jumping back as the smoke faded and left two footprints of dead grass in its place.

“I thought I had dreams.”

“I guess you really are a hot head.”

“Shut up Remus.” Roman said, but let out a soft chuckle.

Remus smiled, before looking back at Roman again. “Please. I don’t want to lose you and Dad. Talk to me?”

“Remus-” Roman started, before his shoulders sank, and he sighed. “Mom wants me to take over the company. She has some girl she wants me to marry coming by tonight for dinner, so we can meet.”

“Sweet baby Jesus…”