Chapter 52.

Logan was still processing all the new information as it came through, and as they all left the Sanctuary and went into their respective first periods, he kept thinking back to Patton. Only soon after the period began, he reached out to Patton with his mind and made a link between the two.

“Patton? Are you alright?”

Patton’s voice came through in his head, a bit startled but noticeably relieved. “Not really. Was Virgil right? Should he and I be hiding to keep you all safe?”

“No.” Logan said firmly. He paused to take a breath. “No, he wasn’t. You wouldn’t be doing anyone any favors by running. Please don’t leave, Pat.” Logan felt himself panic a bit too. His parents had left, he couldn’t talk to his sisters, he didn’t want to lose Patton.

“Lo… I don’t want you to get hurt…”

“I would be more hurt if you left. I wouldn’t have anyone to read Percy Jackson to me in the mornings, or anyone to grab my hand and help the voices quiet down. I would miss you, Patton. Don’t leave me.” Logan felt a lump in his throat. He tried to force it away.

There was silence for a moment. “Okay, Lo. I won’t. I wouldn’t want you to miss the rest of the story.” Logan could feel Patton smile from their link.

They continued to talk, and even kept the link as the first period ended. They continued through the second, talking about everything from what they’d done that weekend to what they needed to do in classes. When lunch came around, Logan found Patton and walked outside with him, talking out loud this time. They passed by the Helping Hands group, which was walking outside too.

“Odd.” Logan mused as they watched the other, rather rude, group walk outside the doors to eat on the field.

“Nah, I have first with the club leader, Jackson. He’s the one who called Roman a ‘has-been’ yesterday.” Patton explained, and Logan noticed the boy Patton was talking about in the group. “Anyways, apparently they decided to start sitting outside this morning because of Virgil.”

“How do you know?”

“They told me. ‘We will be sitting outside to be closer to Virgie for when you inevitably fail.’ According to Jackson, anyways.”

“I wonder if I could give people headaches.” Logan mused, glaring down at Jackson. How dare he speak about Patton like that? Patton was the sweetest, kindest person Logan knew. He knew Patton would never leave any friend in trouble.

“Be nice. By the way, did you notice Janus and Remus this morning?”

“Trust me.” Logan nodded. “I noticed. I also noticed Roman and Virgil.”

Patton turned. “What do you mean?”

“You have not? They clearly have feelings for each other.” Logan stated, giving his friend a weird look.

“I guess we all have our crushes.”

Logan felt his face heat up. “All?”

Patton grew red too. “N-Nevermind…”

“I have mine.” Logan said, fighting to keep his pulse under control.

“Same…” Patton smiled, looking up at him.

“Oh my god, there you two are.” Remus said, running up as Patton and Logan made it over to where they normally sat. “Please save me from my brother.”

“What?” Patton laughed, as Roman’s voice came clear from the bleachers where they sat.

“I will murder you, Remus! Give it back!”