Chapter 69. (heh)

TW: Big ol' trigger in this one. I let a wheel help me decide the path, and the wheel hates Virgil. So fair warning for: dying, injury, blood mention, and vomiting. I'm sorry and blame the wheel.

Virgil had spent the night with Roman at the Sanctuary again. After his boyfriend's outburst of self hate the previous night, Virgil wasn't comfortable leaving the big softie by himself. Instead, he'd been given one of the air mattresses from Janus's mom, and had made a nice bed with Roman's blankets. Then he'd pulled the taller boy over, pulling him close for the 'tactical cuddles' he'd asked for. Then they'd fallen asleep. Roman first, with Virgil running his fingers through the other's curly hair to keep him calm until his warmth finally lulled Virgil to sleep too. Then they'd both been woken up by Virgil's phone.

"Hello?"

"Virgil?" His mom came through the phone. "Where are you?"

"I crashed with a friend after last night." Virgil answered while a half asleep Roman rubbed his back, his nose inches away from the nape of Virgil's neck.

"Why didn't you ask me?"

"I texted." Virgil justified, trying not to giggle as Roman pressed kisses against his neck and jaw.

"Well, I want you home now."

"Mom-"

"No, Virgil. Now. No excuses."

"I'll be there as soon as I can." Virgil said, then said his goodbyes and hung up, sitting up to look at his phone. Roman sat up as well, rubbing his eyes as curls hung in every direction.

Roman looked at him as Virgil turned. "How soon is soon?"

Virgil laughed, pushing closer to Roman and playing with his morpher. "Too soon."

"Five more minutes?"

"I can make five more minutes." Virgil said, smiling as he pressed against Roman's lips. His boyfriend was just so warm. It wasn't fair.

"Yes." Roman whispered in between kisses, before pulling Virgil down with him and laying back on the bed. Virgil laughed as Roman's arms moved to surround him, and Virgil's moved above them to compensate. They stayed, somewhere in the void between awake and asleep, curled up together. Roman's toes brushed against Virgil's, and he could almost feel the bruises on his ribs and chest healing the longer they stayed.

Finally, Virgil pulled away. "I really need to go now."

"I'll go bother my brother." Roman offered, stretching as Virgil sat up and tried to flatten his bedhead. He laughed as Roman walked over to where the other set were, and began to poke Remus in the face and head.

"Fuck off, Roman." Remus grunted.

"Let Virgil out." Roman told him, and Remus sat up, Janus still rubbing his eyes from the other side of the air mattress.

"Oh." He said, standing to move as Janus rolled over and went back to sleep.

Virgil snagged his shoes, trying to adjust his clothes to look less weird as he did. Then he stood and followed as Remus walked over to the entrance.

"You need me to jump you home?"

"Nah." Virgil said, waving his hand. "I'll stick to public spaces and walk. Thanks though."

Roman frowned a little, clearly unhappy with the answer, but nodded. "I don't mind walking with you, though."

"I know, but Mom's already pissed, and I don't think you walking with me will lessen my chances." Virgil pointed out. Roman's shoulders slumped a little. "Next time, okay?"