Chapter 73.

Janus was woken up at 5:30 to watch Virgil by Ella, and had only been able to shift upwards to sit without waking Remus. Janus could see Roman across the Sanctuary, now laying his head on the bed with his fingers still laced in Virgil's. He'd been able to eventually grab his phone from beside him and had scrolled aimlessly for a while before Remus had rolled over and allowed Janus to get up and use the bathroom. When he got back, he'd walked over to Remus's side and grabbed his new sketchbook and a pencil from the ground and moved one of their chairs over to draw as he watched. He knew it was cliche to draw his boyfriend, but he wanted so badly to draw Remus the way he'd been drawn.

Roman stirred first, shifting his head to look back at a sleeping Virgil and smile, before Janus stood.

"You okay?" Janus whispered.

"I'll be fine. Why are you up?"

"Remus tried to teach me to draw, and now it's keeping me awake."

Roman smiled, but he had dark circles under his eyes. Janus didn't figure Roman had been asleep long. "He really likes you, you know."

"The feeling is mutual." Janus joked, but he meant every word. He sat down on the ground beside Roman.

"Why don't you go to the bathroom real quick. I'll stay with him."

Roman looked torn for a moment, before sighing. "Thank you." He moved his fingers out from Virgil's, and went to stand, before Virgil made a whimpering noise in his sleep. In an instant, Roman was back down and had both hands over Virgil's. "It's okay. I'm here. I swear. I'm right here Virgil. I'm here." The sleeping ranger's face calmed again, but didn't move.

Janus frowned, and Roman was now completely awake. He spoke softly, like he was in his own little world, and eventually moved one hand over to Virgil's head to feel his temperature. "Can you get Logan? He's warm."

Janus reached over, feeling Virgil's forehead. "He feels fine to me."

"Exactly." Roman looked at him. "Virgil always feels cold."

Janus frowned, not completely convinced that this was an issue, but he stood and went to the lounge anyway. Logan, Ella, and his mom were all asleep in their various spaces. Logan had taken the beanbag he normally sat with Patton on, Ella had taken one of the chairs, and his mom was on the couch. Janus made his way to Logan, gently brushing his shoulder to wake him.

"What is it, Janus?" Logan spoke groggily, grabbing his glasses from the floor opposite of Janus.

"Roman said Virgil was feeling warm. He wants you to come check on him."

Logan opened his eyes wider, and sat up slowly. He kept the blanket over his shoulders. "I'll wake Ella, and be out once I rebind."

Janus nodded. Even though he didn't know what it felt to be dysphoric like Logan, he could imagine the frustration it brought him to feel wrong every time he woke up. Logan's sister sat up after a moment, a bit quicker than Logan. Janus looked over, a bit confused on how Ella woke up before Logan could shake her.

"Don't wake me up like that." Ella fussed, rubbing her temple before grabbing her own glasses from the arm of the chair. Clearly Logan had woken her telepathically. "Come on Janus, let's go check on Virgil."

Ella stood, following Janus back out of the door and over to Virgil, now back in the same nurse mode she'd been in yesterday. Roman didn't move, but he did look up at her as she came closer. "He's warm, but he's never warm."

"Sometimes people run temps when they are healing." Ella said, moving her hand down to check Virgil's forehead. "But you're right, he is a bit warmer than I would like. Is it possible that you may still be running a bit warm, Roman?"