Chapter 81.

Patton spent the remainder of his weekend with his dads. They had enjoyed a nice meal from home, and began their cleaning before the holiday season started. Patton did more sorting in his room on Saturday, taking out clothes he no longer wore and cleaning his messy room. Then he'd gotten distracted and ended up rearranging the room, making sure to leave the spot where Remus jumped to empty in case something happened. Sunday he had spent relaxing in his bed, finally doing nothing after two weeks of everything.

Monday, he was adjusting his school bag, distracted until he had a knock at his bedroom door, and his dad came in. Patton hadn't thought too much on it, until a woman came in behind him. He immediately recognized her as Roman and Remus's mom, and snagged a random bracelet from his nightstand that he was planning on donating. He slid it on his wrist secretly and put on his cardigan under the guise of feeling cold.

"Hey, Pat. This is Ms. Dukes." His dad introduced them, and Patton hid his surprise under a friendly smile.

"Hello! I'm Patton. What can I do for you?" Patton said, tugging the sleeves of his cardigan down.

"Hello, Patton." She spoke softly, but Patton could hear her voice cracking. If he hadn't known what she did, he would have felt absolutely heart broken. "I was wondering if you had heard from my boys."

"Who are they? I meet a lot of people, and I've always been awful with last names." Patton giggled.

"Roman and Remus."

Patton paused, pretending to think. "I know Roman does theater, so I've run into him at school sometimes, but I don't normally run in the same circles as Remus. But I suppose I saw Roman that Friday before the monster attack. He was asking about a show he wanted to try."

"You haven't heard from them since?"

Patton shook his head. "No ma'am. Why?"

"They ran away from home a few nights ago, and I'm worried about them." She admitted, before looking down at Patton's wrist. Patton looked down at the bracelet he'd grabbed at random. Of course it was pink. He moved it on his wrist, before taking it off and handing it to her.

"I use it sometimes when I'm having a bad day. Why don't you keep it?" Patton offered. "I'm sorry I can't do more for you."

Ms. Dukes looked at the bracelet like Patton was handing her something she'd never seen before. Patton waited a moment, before she took it from him and thanked him. "I appreciate it, Patton. If you do hear from them, let me know please."

"Of course." Not.

"Come on, Pat. Logan is here too."

"Awesome!" Patton said, his fake smile turning into a real one as Ms. Dukes left and he followed her down the stairs. Patton kept his bracelet hand in his pocket, trying to keep the charms from making noise and alerting her that he had just worn two bracelets. Logan was in their living room, significantly less subtle about his worry as he saw Ms. Dukes walking in front of him.

"Hello, do you go to Patton's school?" She asked with a soft smile. Patton moved over to Logan and grabbed his hand.

"I do, yes."

"If you see my boys, Roman and Remus, call me. They ran away from home and I'm worried." She looked at him, and took an extra glance at his watch. Patton quickly snagged it, pretending to laugh.

"Lo, why'd you steal my watch?"

Logan looked at him for a moment, before smiling. "It is just my color."

"Hm." Patton said, laughing as he pretended to fiddle with the buckle. Ms. Dukes watched for a moment, before seemingly getting relieved and walking out the door.