Chapter 32.

Roman scanned his brother’s eyes for any sign of what his twin may be thinking, and began to wish he could poke inside his brain like Logan could.

“Remus, I’m sorry. I should’a told you earlier but-”

“You should have, yeah.” Remus answered. “But, I understand why you didn’t.”

Roman paused for a moment. “I-”

“Do you want to do this?”

“What?”

“Take over the company? Marry some chick mom sets out for you?”

“Remus, I-”

“Remus nothing. Do you want to? Yes or no.”

“No.”

Remus sighed, and finally met Roman’s gaze. “Then don’t. You don’t have to do anything. And I swear to god.” Remus said, interrupting what Roman was going to say. “If you say you’re doing this so I don’t have to, I will slap you so hard we will both have burns.”

“I’m sorry.” Roman said, before straightening his back and looking at his brother. “But I am. I don’t regret it either. After Dad died, she told me she wanted me to begin learning so I could take over. The girl is someone whose dad owns a big rival company. If she can get us to marry, then it will allow for a massive merger.”

“Right.” Remus said. “Then I guess anything you feel is fucked. Jesus Ro, when were you even gonna tell me?”

“I wasn’t.”

Remus made a face, scrunching up his nose and narrowing his eyes like he’d smelled something funny. “Great. Glad we are such close brothers.” His voice cracked. He turned and walked back into the school before Roman could get another word in.

Roman walked back in behind his brother silently, returning his own tray to the cafeteria before walking to his class. Once there, he sat at his desk and stared into the wood as the teacher droned on. Then the next class, and again, until it was finally his seventh period. It was a study hall for him, and he walked into his last class to see Virgil already sitting at a desk beside his.

“Virgil?” Roman asked as he walked up. “I didn’t know you had this class.”

“I guess I do. Study hall?”

“Yep.” Roman said, and sat down in the desk next to him. There was a bit of uncomfortable silence, before Virgil spoke.

“I didn’t catch a lot of what happened earlier, and it’s not my business, but I hope everything is okay.”

“It’s okay. I think.” Roman said before groaning and hitting his head on his desk, leaving it there as he rambled. “No, it’s not. It sucks and I wish that I could avoid doing any of this but here I am and I don’t know why I’m telling you this since you don’t know any of it but I just have to say it somewhere besides into my own pillow at night and it’s not like I want to meet this chick because I don’t really like girls anyways and-”

“Woah. Slow down.” Virgil said, putting a gentle hand on Roman’s shoulder. Roman hadn’t noticed until then, but he’d been feeling super warm until Virgil’s hand made contact with his shoulder. “Do you wanna tell me the whole story?”

“Honestly? Yes.”

“I’m all ears.”

“Our Dad died of a sudden heart attack six months ago.”

“Jesus. One bad start. I’m sorry.”

“Thanks. When we got back from his funeral, my mom sat me down and said she wanted me to start taking things with the company seriously. She-”