Chapter 41.

Patton had enjoyed a restful night after he’d dug through his collection of books to find the perfect one to read to Logan. It had to be the perfect starting book, or Logan might not want to let Patton keep going. He really wanted this to be perfect. He wanted to see Logan’s cute smile, and his little crow’s feet when his eyes crinkled. He wanted to see him adjust his glasses on his face, or play with the ends of his tie when he had an idea to share. He’d argued in his head for a while before settling on the first book in the Percy Jackson series and sliding it into his bookbag. Then Patton had laid down on his bed and made sure he was actually touching the mattress, before he had fallen asleep.

However, Patton forgot to set his alarm, so that morning his pops had woken him instead of his alarm, and Patton had jumped to see his parent so close and rolled right off of bed. His new powers caught him before he could hit the floor, and he had to force himself to drop with a soft thud before his pops saw his son floating off the floor.

“Sorry kiddo.” Pops said, helping his son up. “Your friend is here to pick you up. He’s cute.”

Patton smiled, a bit of pink in his cheeks. “Thanks pops. I’ll be right down, and we are just friends.”

“Aye aye.” He said, before walking out and closing the door behind him.

The minute the door closed Patton was scrambling around to grab clothes and pull them on. He grabbed his bag as he left, making sure to see the worn cover of his book in the pocket before running downstairs. His other dad was busy talking with Logan in their living room, making sure that he had times right with Patton’s just friend.

Logan smiled when he caught sight of Patton walking towards him, and Patton thought he might just implode at the sight. He did not, however, and was able to chase away his parents long enough for them to escape out the front door and into Turbo.

“So,” Logan said, buckling his seat belt. “What book did you decide on today?”

Patton pulled the worn story from his bag. Logan’s eyes lit up with recognition.

“Percy Jackson? I have never read the series,personally, however I hear it was rather good.”

“It is!” Patton said, buckling himself in. “You ready?”

“I am.” Logan said.

“Chapter 1: I Accidentally Vaporize My Pre-algebra Teacher.” Patton giggled a bit at the name. “Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood. If you’re reading this…”

Patton read on, with Logan listening in silently as they drove to school. Every so often, Patton would stop to giggle at a sentence, or Logan would interrupt to make a comment.

“‘Grover,’ I said, ‘what exactly are you protecting me from?’”

“Demon bat women, apparently.” Logan said with a cheeky smile, making Patton snort with laughter.

He kept reading until they turned into the school parking lot, and parked the car. Logan listened the whole time. Once Patton had finished the chapter he was reading, he put in an old piece of paper to bookmark it and slid the book into Turbo’s glovebox.

“Logan?”

“Yes Patton?”

“Is it weird that I was glad I was in those woods with you guys the other day? I mean, I wish it hadn’t happened, but I’m glad it did with you.” Patton paused, before seeing Logan’s face grow red. “All of you! I mean, you’re good too! You’re great! Perfect, even! All of you are! I- ugh…”

Patton put his head in his hands, before he heard Logan give a soft chuckle. That turned into full on laughter, and Patton began to laugh with him, until they were both a giggling mess from inside Logan’s car.