Chapter 95.

Roman was shaking a little as he, Remus, and Virgil all left the Sanctuary and went towards their mother's home. Remus had to be there, since he could open the Sanctuary, and Virgil had decided once Roman had shared his plan that he wasn't leaving.

It was a good plan, or at least Roman hoped it was. He even had asked Virgil to be a part of it so that it would give him a conversation starter. Remus teleported them to the front yard of their house, and Roman looked around. He could remember Remus getting stuck up the tree that leaned over the fence when they were little because he was scared of falling. He remembered their dad chasing them around with a hose as they ran around on hot days. Roman could almost hear their kid selves giggling as the memory sat in his mind. He pushed it aside, walking up to the front door with Virgil's hand in his.

They'd given the three injured rangers time to heal, almost another full day, and had taken Debbie and Janus's mother to Patton's dad's house so they were safe. Now they just needed the actual fight. Roman took a deep breath. He felt Virgil's hand squeeze his. Then, he knocked.

"Who is it?" Nathalie's voice came through.

"Roman." He answered, and there was a thudding towards the door, before it opened and Nathalie reached to hug her son. She stopped when she saw Virgil.

"Roman? Remus? What's going on?"

"We need to talk."

She frowned, looking at Virgil with a glare that Roman was about ready to slap off of her, before she moved aside and let them in.

"Forgive the mess. Heogguar isn't always the neatest guest."

"He was in a rush last time." Remus remarked under his break.

"True enough." Nathalie nodded, walking through the entry hall and back to the living room. "Now, why did you bring Virgil here?"

"Because I can." Roman answered simply. "And if you're trying to warn the Witch, tell her she's welcome to come by."

Nathalie put down her phone, a look of shock over her features. "I- does this mean you want to be-"

"No. Want isn't exactly the word I'd use." Roman growled. He squeezed Virgil's hand again. He could do this. He just needed to keep calm. "But after hearing what Patton told us, I want to hear her out."

Nathalie looked absolutely thrilled. "Oh wonderful! She should be here in a moment, but she often times gets distracted. Why did you come here instead of the facility?"

"I needed to set a few rules first." Roman answered, and Nathalie frowned.

"Rules?"

"If you or that Witch ever make any of us forget the other, I will make you all regret it."

"Roman! Do not-"

"I'm not done." Roman said, and Virgil put his other hand over his first. "We are allowed to see each other. We are allowed to be kids. And under no circumstance will we harm anyone."

"Roman, do you real-"

"Yes. Now, do you agree?"

Nathalie sighed. "Fine. Yes, I agree."

Roman squeezed Virgil's hand again. So far so good.

"But I have a condition too."

"What's that?"

"You let me get you to forget about your father."

"What?" Remus snapped. "Forget Dad?"

"Yes. You won't have to miss him anymore, and all of this can be easier for us."

"Absolutely no-"

"Deal." Roman said. Remus looked at him with complete betrayal on his face.

"Fine. Whatever."

"Good." Nathalie said, sitting down on one of the chairs and looking at Virgil. "Well, tell me about yourself, Virgil. Since we're gonna be in each other's lives now."

Virgil shifted. "Not a lot to say."

"Fair enough. Well, Rem-" Nathalie was cut off by a knock at the door, which she stood to open. "Wait here please." She walked off, and Roman pulled out his phone with his free hand.

Roman: Connect, Please.

Logan: please*

Roman: Not the time.

Roman felt the buzz in his mind, and Logan's voice came through.

How close?

DW's here. Roman answered. Everyone over there morphed?

Yes, but I still think this is a poor plan.

It's the worst. Virgil said, shifting again. But at least one of us is an actor.

Roman felt a bit of pride ebb into his bones, and bumped heads with Virgil.

"Champions!" The Witch's voice boomed from the entryway.

Oh fuck. Virgil muttered, and Roman looked at him.

It's okay. I promise.

Remus, why don't you comfort me like that? Janus mocked in his mind.

Not the time. Patton fussed, repeating Roman's comment earlier.

"In here." Roman answered gruffly, and he saw the Witch's head poke around the corner, Heogguar and his mother only a step behind.

Shit. Remus cursed.

What? Logan sounded concerned.

Heogguar's here.

We'll be fine, Remus. We've got this. Roman said, and he turned to face the witch completely.

"Well, it's nice to see that you've finally understood what those before you could not."

"I don't really think I do, but I can at least respect the pain it put you through." Roman answered.

The Witch nodded, "Now, where are the others? The Sanctuary, I suppose?"

"They didn't want to come, and overwhelm you." Remus answered, his voice stiff.

"Kind of them. However, I would like to see you all. Have them come out."

Roman frowned, thinking of an answer for her. "We'd have to get the broken chips, too."

The Witch grinned a little.

I'll wipe that grin off her face, the bitch. Roman thought, forgetting there was a mental link between them for a moment.

Almost there, Ro. Virgil answered. Then we all get a turn.

"Well, in that case, we should come too. I want to make sure everything goes through swiftly. Representative, Heogguar, come."

Nathalie's coming too? Remus asked in his mind. What now?

Honestly, pray this works. Roman answered, before speaking aloud with one last squeeze to Virgil's hand before letting go. "Remus, open it."