Chapter 39.

Logan had gotten to the shitty hand-me-down Corolla that he used to drive himself and his siblings around, unlocking it manually since it had no button. He always had to be careful of where he parked, because the car couldn’t back up well, and especially not on any sort of incline. Most of the time, Logan simply backed into spaces, so that he could easily get out. That was what he’d done yesterday, planning on driving it home after detention before everything had occurred. Then, Logan’s oldest sister, Ella, had demanded he ride home with the rest of them, and pick up the car the next afternoon.

Logan sat down in the driver seat, which squeaked angrily under his weight, before texting Ella that he was coming back now. He’d had a hard time convincing his sister to let him stay, but Logan had been able to once she understood he wasn’t leaving the school. He technically hadn’t, anyways. Logan put his keys in the ignition as Patton jogged up to him.

“Hey Lo!”

“Hello Patton.” Logan said, suddenly feeling like the car was way too stuffy. “Is everything okay?”

“Yeah!” Patton smiled. “I was just wondering if you could drive me home… I didn’t charge my phone, and Janus took the bus home.”

“Of course, Patton.” Logan said, gesturing to his passenger side. “Please, get in.”

Patton bounced a little, his windblown curls also jumping from atop his head, and quickly walked over the other side. He climbed in quickly, and buckled up as Logan started the car. It sputtered a bit, and argued with Logan as he gently nursed the gas to give it the go it needed to start.

“Come on Turbo…” He muttered under his breath, before the car coughed to life.

“Turbo?” Patton looked at him.

“Yes.” Logan nodded. “My two youngest sisters, Marie and Kellie, like to call it that since its engine is particularly loud on hills.”

Patton giggled. “I like that. Say, I saw your family last night. Do you mind me asking how many siblings you have?”

Logan pulled the gear shift into drive, and eased it into a slow movement. Turbo’s engine revved, as if proving its namesake, and Patton patted the dashboard. “I do not mind at all. Will you give me directions on our way?”

“Sure! You’ll turn right out of the school.”

Logan nodded, and began the drive out of the school’s lot. “I have two younger sisters: Marie, who is eight, and Kellie, who is six. Then I have two older sisters: Ella, who is a sophomore in college, and Rachel, who is a junior here.”

“I thought one of them looked familiar! Rachel works on the student council!”

“Yes.” Logan nodded as he turned out of the school’s lot.

“Okay… You’ll stay on this road for a while. You know, you all look pretty similar.”

“We get that a lot.” Logan smiled.

“So, can I ask a question about you being trans?”

Logan paused, debating if he wanted the conversation, before reaching out with his mind and feeling the support pouring from Patton. He could practically see himself through Patton’s head as the blonde looked at him from the dim car.

“It is fine.”

Patton smiled, and Logan could feel the smile from his spot even without looking. It was weird to feel emotions that were not his, especially considering how bizarrely poor he was at handling his own. “So, how did your parents take your coming out?”

“They are not aware yet.”

“Really?” Patton asked.

“Yes. My parents work with the military, and are rarely home from their various deployments. I do not believe that they would care, but it is not their opinion that worries me.”