Chapter 11.

Only moments after Remus had vanished, Janus had watched as Roman cursed quietly and grabbed a different bracelet to follow his brother. Then Logan, Virgil, and himself had all stared at each other.

"Admittedly, I'm not surprised that the three of us are the survivors." Janus said finally.

"That is ridiculous, it is unlikely that any of the others are dead." Logan nipped. He was still staring at the pile of bracelets left on the ground, as if waiting for them to come back. "At least, I don't think..."

"Ha!" Virgil laughed ruefully. "You don't think. Great. That makes me feel so much better."

"Well, either way, I believe it is more wise of us to wait here for a while to see if they return." Logan said. "After all, we are more safe here than they may be."

Suddenly, there was a very audible noise from the room with the weird birdbath, and Janus could hear faint footsteps making their way towards the room.

"Oh you just had to say it, didn't you!" Janus cursed under his breath. "Just grab the bracelets." Then they were all on their hands and knees searching for the other bracelets that had fallen to the floor. However, so much of the dust from the statue had covered them and the others kicking them around on accident made them much harder to find.

"Found one." Virgil said, before grabbing it and disappearing in an instant.

Janus kept searching until he heard Logan whisper a quiet, "I have also found one. Do you need assistance?"

"No, just go." Janus answered, still looking around as Logan vanished.

Janus was now just pushing the rocks and dust around as the footsteps approached, until Janus could hear someone's labored breathing. Then Janus realized hiding was the next best option. He found a spot that he could see out of the door from and hid behind it as a figure came into view. Janus bit his lip to keep from gasping.

This creature was walking through the use of four odd spider-like legs that made quiet "tink" sounds as they moved forwards. Where a spider's abdomen would be, a more human torso rose, until the arms, where another set of four spider legs were. The creature's head was a mix of a thousand eyes and a weird set of fangs on either side of a much larger mouth than any human would have. There was no nose, only more black eyes set into light gray skin. The creature made a move towards the room where Janus was in, before seeing the door open and the statue broken.

Janus braced for some onslaught of anger, or anything other than what came next.

The creature went over to the birdbath, and a light suddenly poured from it. Janus poked his head around from his hiding spot to see the creature speak, just in time to see one of the bracelets sitting on the floor near him, shining against the new light.

"They have been taken." The creature said, a weird spitting voice that made Janus cringe.

"Very well." Another voice, coming from what could only be the birdbath, spoke. "I shall have a guard check the cells for our champions."

Janus watched as the creature did some sort of salute or bow to the bowl, before the light faded and Janus dove for the bracelet, feeling as his fingers clasped around the metal and everything around him faded away.