10

Błażej persuaded Makary to move and left the bar with him. It worried him, however, that he was so easily convinced and acted as if he didn't care. Thus, he was asking for trouble, and Błażej was aware of it, and therefore he kept reminding himself about why he was doing it. Fortunately, they did not have to wait long for a taxi, and Makary could give the address. The newly-minted student was surprised to realize that his cousin lived in the same building, so he immediately called her to ask her to stay overnight.

The taxi driver watched the two with a bit of suspicion as if he couldn't decide whether to consider them as friends or as a couple. He hoped the latter option didn't get in the way because then he would have regretted taking this course, and hated people like them. His hands tightened on the steering wheel as the taller rested his head on the other's shoulder as if it were the most natural thing in the world. The man tightened his hands even more on the steering wheel and tried to think that he needed money and had to do his job, but he told himself that if anything else happened, they would be kicked out of the cab.

Błażej almost jumped when he felt the weight on his shoulder, so far he was staring at the window and the city lights, which prevented this excellent human habitat from plunging into darkness. The boy covered his mouth with his hand, hoping that it would hide the blush that appeared on his cheeks at least a little. But he glanced at him once in a while, wondering how handsome he was, and cursed himself that he couldn't help but think. In addition, he felt the taxi driver's unpleasant looks and hoped he would take the fastest course to get them there. The drunk man still couldn't recover and couldn't remember the code to the main door.

"Where are your keys?" Błażej asked him with a sigh.

"In my pocket," said Makary, and he felt someone stick his hand into it.

"Hey, hands off," he said indignantly, then added. "Anyway, do what you want. Just don't hurt Nemo."

Błażej rolled his eyes and finally got the keys that brought him closer to achieving his goal and escorting Makary safely home. At times he wondered why he was doing it, why he was so anxious to help others when almost no one cared about him. After all, he did not even know the name of the man who had to lean against him in order to somehow walk the next meters. They finally got to Makary's apartment, and Błażej was relieved to help him lie down on the couch, to the sound of a parrot chirping furiously, both angry that his sleep had been interrupted and because he was worried about her master.

"So you are Nemo," Błażej muttered. "Calm down, I'm not the bad guy."

"Then who are you?" Makary asked suddenly in a serious tone, waking for a moment. "I already know." He fell dramatically back onto the couch. "Now that you're here, tell me why you didn't agree to go for a coffee with me a year ago, huh?"

"It's complicated," Błażej sighed, simultaneously searching for an empty glass, without unnecessary rummaging around the apartment.

"Complicated," the hazel-eyed man said. "Maybe if you agreed, I wouldn't end up heartbroken today."

"Hey, I wasn't pushing anyone into anyone's arms!" the younger man was nervous.

"Right, I'm guilty to myself for being desperate," Makary turned to his side and fell asleep a moment later, muttering something under his breath.

Błażej, after making sure that he had a glass of water at hand, looked at the parrot for a moment. He wondered what else he could do for the stranger, and he couldn't think of anything in particular. But he knew he would be worried about how he was going to feel the next morning, so he left a message for him and left without turning back.