24

The waitress working in the cafe felt exceptionally nice that day, which is why she especially regretted that Makary did not appear in the local alone. She was sure she would have given him a slightly larger piece of cake then and tried to flirt, but he only graced her with a polite second glance as he thanked her for serving the treats she had brought.

She watched them from behind the counter, polishing glasses and wondering what they might have in common. She saw the taller one talking eagerly all the time to the other one, who listens to him with the utmost attention, but looks as if he is from a completely different world. She tried to find a good word in her head to describe Błażej, but the only thing she came up with was "bland". That's how he seemed to her compared to the eye-catching Makary, who exuded an aura of elegance around him.

As they left, she just sighed and found them an odd couple, shrugged her shoulders, and went back to her duties. Makary accompanied Błażej to the bus stop so that he could still bring the books to himself, so as not to go with them to evening classes.

"I'm sorry for talking so much," the hazel-eyed man said, his hands clenching nervously on his bag, fearing it might alienate him.

"The only thing that bothered me was that I got hungry," replied Błażej, bringing a wide smile to his companion's face.

"I can cook something for you whenever you want," announced excited Makary, already preparing in his head a list of dishes that he could serve him.

"Don't tempt me, or I'll be using it too often," the first-year laughed. "Three more minutes."

Makary looked at the board informing in how many minutes the tram, in which the object of his interest was going to return, should appear. He wanted to raise one more point.

"Why didn't you come then?"

"On the fair? You were surrounded by people, I was ashamed and I didn't know what to say. Nothing like 'Hey, do you remember me, before the holidays you invited me for coffee, but I declined, how are you?' would work, right?"

"Yes, that would be strange," confirmed Makary. "But at least it gave us an excuse for that coffee. There will be no reason to meet now."

"Are you already backing down on your promise to cook for me?" Błażej pretended to be offended. "How can I trust you now?"

"No, of course not," denied the hazel-eyed and smiled, but after a while, he became sad when he saw the approaching tram.

So they reluctantly said goodbye, but both thought that maybe it wasn't so bad. Makary waited for the vehicle to move, hoping for a moment of eye contact, but Błażej found a free seat on the other side and excitedly reported the meeting to Krystian. The amateur of cooking, on the other hand, headed for another stop, which was the departure point of the line that would take him home. A faint smile stayed on his lips all the time, he also laughed during the journey, remembering the surprised faces of Błażej when he talked about flavor combinations that he did not expect.

Fate also smiled, he knew they were on the right track, but he was a bit worried that the impasse they had just reached would quickly fade. He needed help and after a while, he came up with an idea that he immediately put into reality.