33

"What about your plans for Christmas?" Makary asked, trying to change the topic, which was apparently uncomfortable for Błażej.

"I'll be at work until noon on Christmas Eve, then I'll have a quick Christmas dinner with Tymek and Monika, they'll go to my aunt and uncle's, and I'll go back to my place."

"You're not going to see anyone else from your family?" The hazel-eyed worried.

If Makary had assumed that he would hear a negative answer, he would have suggested that the first year spend at least this special evening at his house. His parents loved visitors and would certainly not mind his presence. However, he knew that even if the proposal came from the bottom of his heart, Błażej would not agree. He didn't speak, knowing the result, which if spoken out loud would probably hurt him.

"No," replied Blazej with a sad smile. "They don't want to see me. On the first day, I will rest a bit, and on the second I will be at work all day, so it will pass quickly and it will be after Christmas. You do not have to worry about me."

"It doesn't change the fact that I'm a little sorry to hear that," Makary muttered, wrapping his scarf tighter around himself.

"But I'd love to hear about your plans. I don't want to spoil the atmosphere. Will you also have busy holidays in restaurants?"

"Yes and no," confirmed the hazel-eyed, sighing that his interlocutor is in a good mood after all.

"I will help prepare the order the day before until late in the evening. And on Christmas Eve with Mirek, we will only give them away to customers. Parents never wanted any of the crew to work on that day, which is why they close all premises for the holidays."

"That's nice of them," Blazej remarked. "Mirek is your older brother, but not the one from the twins?' he made sure.

"That's right," Makary nodded, pleased that the younger man was actually listening to him as he talked about his family. "Maciek and his family will be staying with his in-laws. And me with Mirek and his family at my parents' for Christmas Eve. And then both holidays are probably interspersed with guests and food."

"It's certainly interesting if the kids get together, sometimes I've had enough with only one Tymek," Błażej laughed, although a twinge of jealousy appeared in his heart, he knew that he couldn't blame Makary for anything.

"As you should know," the hazel-eyed reacted livelily. "They're all over the place, they're so loud, and it's just uncle this and uncle that. I love them all, but sometimes I don't want to be that favorite uncle you have to enjoy when you see him."

"Are you so confident that you boldly call yourself 'favorite uncle'?" Błażej asked with a twinkle in his eye. "You need to deserve this title!"

"Yes?! The kids tell me that all the time, so I definitely deserve it."

The men argued for a moment, pretending to take the exchange completely seriously. In the end, they laughed when the other side ran out of arguments and neither proved their superiority in being "favorite uncle". Something caught Błażej's attention, so he stopped abruptly, making Makary a little surprised.

"Do you mind if I look in there?" the first year asked, excitement in his voice.

"No, what do you need?"

"I just remembered I need to buy a button," Błażej lied and turned away to hide his embarrassment.