44

Makary barely maintained the pretence of still sleeping. He thought that maybe Błażej just needed to talk, but he couldn't muster up the courage. He knew that later he could let him know that he knew everything and did not have to go through confession again. But he still felt cheated deep down in his heart and hoped that he would soon get rid of this feeling that it was something he could easily forgive.

"It all started when my younger sister was born. She was premature and they kept her in the hospital for a long time. My parents were terrified and didn't want this to spread to me. I was ten at the time, and they suddenly remembered that my grandmother's close cousin also lived in our town. That was the first time I went to my aunt Henryka. She was surprised, but she welcomed me with kindness." Błażej took a break to give his throat a rest.

Talking about it while ill was not the most pleasant experience. At first, he took the easier route, which was to hide some things about himself to deal with his fear of being taunted and thrown in. Seeing Makary by his side, he felt that he cared about him, even though they didn't fit together in any way. Błażej felt something like that, for the first time in a long time he wanted to fight his fear, not use it as an excuse for taking any risks.

"For several months, every day after school and on weekends I ended up at my aunt's, and my parents were in the hospital. Auntie had her habits, but she changed them a bit for me because she started cooking dinner faster so that it would wait for me when I arrived. Then she'd make herself a cup of coffee, turn on the TV, her favourite shows would come on, all those old tapeworms, and she'd crochet in the meantime. I did my homework during this time, but more and more often I found myself watching her at work. I asked once what could be done with it, and she replied that everything she wants if she tries, but her eyesight is getting weaker and she doesn't have as much enthusiasm as before. The next day I asked her to teach me..."

Makary gently opened one eye to make sure Błażej was okay. He sounded like he was about to collapse at any moment, but the sick man just lay there staring at the ceiling as if replaying his memories on it. Hazel-eyed wondered if he still had contact with the relative who apparently meant so much to him. He also wondered if Błażej had ever unequivocally said that he had a younger sister.

"My first works were terrible, my aunt was buried with one of them. It was a simple square, nothing big, ugly as hell, but for some reason, it ended up in the box with the things she wanted to be in the grave with. You understand she was preparing one for herself years before she died. We talked a lot, even about serious topics, I think sometimes she forgot that I was only a child. I liked crocheting more and more, it helped me calm down after more difficult days at school or before tests. Even after Baśka was at home, I visited her every day, my parents agreed that I would go to her after school. She ended up watching me at work and giving me pieces of advice. Exactly two years after my first visit, she died, and I found her. I miss her so much, and so I miss Baśka. She was such a sweet child, we all spoiled her a bit and after Monika gave birth to Tymek, she became terribly jealous of him, but she is a good girl, and she will be a decent person."