61

Błażej wrote to his cousin to let him know when he would be near the house. Tymek was taken over by Krystian's words and wanted to stand with the bouquet in his hands when his mother came home. The adult chuckled a little inwardly at the emotion this evoked in the child. He looked at his things waiting in the corridors and chastised himself for being hypocritical, knowing that he would probably look like that himself when giving Makary a gift.

Tymek was not delighted when Monika appeared, already holding a single rose in her hand. He was afraid that his gesture would not be appreciated enough, but the woman almost cried when she saw him. When the flowers were placed in the vase, the boy asked from whom mother received the rose.

"Remember the last time I stayed late at work?" Tymek nodded. "I was helping a friend at work. I got it from him and he took me out to lunch today to thank me for helping him." Monika smiled and remembered something. "Yeah, guess who I saw? Antek's da...

Błażej quickly interrupted them and asked for a side. In a whisper, he explained to her that it turned out that Makary and Antek were related, and what had happened in the kindergarten. Monika was worried, knowing that Tymek had a bit of trouble fitting into the group and that having a friend was important to him. She sighed and decided that she would seriously talk to him about it. Makary has already informed Błażej that his brother has picked up his children, so if he wants to, he can come at any time. First-year, however, decided to drink coffee with his cousin. Tymek accompanied them, as usual, interested in the conversation.

"What about this sudden change of plans?" Monica asked curiously.

"Just like that," answered Błażej, blushing.

"Tymek, who walked you to your uncle today?"

"Mrs. Kasia," replied Tymek, not understanding what it had to do with anything.

"It's all clear," Monika laughed. "I bet she flirted with him a bit, didn't she?" Błażej did not answer, but she knew that jealousy was behind it, because many times she watched the young kindergarten teacher look longingly after men. "Okay, you don't want to talk about yourself, so tell me what about Krystian? Have you met his girlfriend? What kind of person she is?"

"No, I haven't had a chance yet, but we're going for a report beer tomorrow. Don't want to join? I'd love to hear the details of your dinner too."

"I don't know." Monika felt a bit confused. "My mother mentioned something recently that Tymek had not been with them for the weekend for a long time."

"I want to go to my grandparents!"

"So where is the problem?" asked Błażej, surprised that his cousin was avoiding his gaze. "Don't tell me you still worry about Krystian confession? He was leaving, he was pretty sure he wouldn't see us for at least ten years. He laughs about it now."

"Uncle Krystian said you were friends? He lied to me," Tymek was indignant, watching his mother's reaction.

"Of course we are," the woman replied. "Okay, the three of us will see each other for a beer tomorrow, like in the good old days," she decided. "But he'll get it for calling himself Tymek's uncle without consulting me!"

"Can't he be my uncle?" Tymek was worried. "He seemed cool."

"He can, just..."

"You lost at the very beginning," Błażej muttered, trying to hide a malicious smile behind a cup of coffee.

He remembered that even though Monika was older than them, she and Krystian always competed for something. He was just too lazy to get involved. Sometimes he missed those moments together when they were children and their cousin was a role model for them. The coffee was over and Błażej knew that Makary was waiting for him, but he couldn't bring himself to go to him. Monika, moreover, threw him eloquent glances every few minutes. He finally got up and started getting ready to leave. Tymek looked at him uncertainly and before reaching for the doorknob, he tugged at his sleeve.

"You need to go to..." He hesitated for a moment. "Our neighbour."

"I'd like to see him," Błażej replied with a smile, seeing how much it cost the boy not to use another expression.

"Uncle was telling the truth about how happy you are when you're with him?"

"Yes."

"Tymek, do you remember when I told you at the beginning of the year that your uncle was very sick?" Monika interjected. "Makary, our neighbour took care of your uncle then, when we couldn't. I guess we can trust him a bit more, huh?" Tymek was silent because he didn't want to agree with her, but he nodded slightly.

"Promise that you will try to reconcile with Antek tomorrow," Błażej reminded the boy.

"I promise," Tymek grumbled reluctantly.