30

Suddenly, Błażej's phone rang, he picked it up quickly, ignoring the worried look of the host. Makary got scared when he saw the guest's reaction that he would have to leave quickly.

"Uncle?! Why aren't you coming back?! I thought you were only going there for a while! Are you okay?!" screamed Tymek in tears after he stole his mother's phone to make sure that the toy thief did nothing to his relative.

"Tymek," sighed Błażej, slightly amused by the child's concern. "I'm fine, I need to stay here for a while. I'll be back soon, now give your mom back the phone."

For a moment there was an audible hum and the device was retrieved by its rightful owner, apologizing to her cousin for her child. The woman liked Makary and had a good feeling about him. She didn't want anything to spoil this meeting, but she was afraid that Błażej himself might do it.

Makary breathed a sigh of relief when he realized that his guest was not going to suddenly disappear, but he didn't ask what it was about. He was too busy cutting the cake and wondering if it was good enough. He set the dessert on the table and brought the coffee ready. They sat as they had two weeks before, where he could admire Błażej's right profile. He noticed, however, that the first-year student was very tired, and he had been staring at the cup for a long time as if he was thinking hard about something.

Makary wondered why he was so nervous, finally, Błażej grabbed the cup to hide the shaking of his hands. The host sat a little more sideways and imperceptibly extended his hand, intending to place it on Błażej's head, hoping that it would calm them both down. Makary had experience in relationships, but before that everything seemed so easy. He liked someone mutually and somehow it was natural. This time, however, it was different, he was afraid to make a specific move because he wasn't sure what Błażej felt. He said that Makary is not in his league, and the hazel-eyed man thought maybe it was just the opposite. He was about to sink his hand into his brown hair...

"I would like to talk to you," Błażej suddenly said in a trembling tone. "Or rather ask you about something."

"What is it about?" Makary pulled his hand back abruptly, pretending to scratch his head.

"What exactly do you expect and want from me?" The younger of the men finally looked at the other and after the uncertain expression on the interlocutor's face added. "I am very flattered that you invited me, that you agreed to go out for coffee with me. I enjoy talking to you, but..."

Makary understood that someone had hurt him once, but he didn't say it out loud, he just clenched his fists in anger. What did he want? First of all, to understand what was with him, so he was discovering the world of feelings anew, although he thought he knew it inside out. He suddenly felt that he would like to see his smile again, as he had at dinner, and he wished that this place would become his shelter. He couldn't do it with the outside world because of his own insecurities, but here on his own and familiar ground...

"I am still trying to sort out his life anew with work and studies. If you wanted something serious, I wouldn't be able to commit to it 100 percent. And without it on both sides, doesn't it make sense to start? Besides, I don't think I'm ready or willing for something like that at the moment," Błażej continued, looking away, he didn't want to see Makary's reaction, fearing that he had misunderstood his intentions.

The host smiled sadly because he often gave subtle signals during their conversations that he wanted something more. He realized that while he might fall in love, he wouldn't get what he wanted right away. He considered his visitor's words, delaying the moment of answer a bit.

"I've learned that sometimes patience is key in cooking, so I'll try to remember that. But I need to know, does that mean you don't want to see me at all too?"

"No," replied suddenly surprised Błażej, who expected a rather furious reaction and a mocking tone that he was setting some conditions. "I'd love to get to know you better and see you, but I don't think I'm..."

"Okay," Makary interrupted him. "I hope the only thing you don't want is the romantic nature of our relationship, so let's just keep it friendly and pretty neutral. However, I want you to reserve all such meetings that may have the characteristics and nature of dating only for me."

He forced Błażej to look him in the eye, causing his face to turn red. The younger man nodded in agreement, somewhat shocked at the direction this conversation had taken.

"As if anyone else would be interested," the brown-eyed man suddenly laughed, as he often did when he felt awkward.

Makary frowned, wanting to say something, he knew what uncertainty and low self-esteem were behind these words. They heard a sudden knock on the door, mingled with the cry of a child. Błażej sprang to his feet, he knew who he would see as soon as he opened it, Tymek, who immediately hugged him, asking him to come home.