73

"Tymek, I'm just asking you not to say anything in front of Uncle and Aunt," Monika asked when they had a few minutes to go to Błażej's parents.

"I won't say anything," the boy swore, indignant at the lack of faith in his ability to keep a secret.

The woman was nervous, Przemek's plan was working perfectly, and the aunt and uncle, at least it seemed, did not suspect anything wrong with it. Monika's supervisor found old free tickets to the zoo and in the graphics program, added the appropriate date. It coincided wonderfully with the opening of the zoo's summer season, which only added extra realism to her lie. She was insanely grateful for that. She looked in the mirror at Tymek and sighed, maybe it's better not to risk it. And she called Błażej's mother.

"Hi Auntie," she greeted over the speakerphone. "We'll be there in less than ten minutes. Baśka can get ready now, I thought I'd take them for something to eat so that they would have the strength to walk around the zoo and not whine in the middle of the tour."

"That's a good idea, actually," the older woman agreed. "At the zoo, you definitely overpay for everything. I'll tell Basia that you'll be there soon. Thanks for thinking of her, we haven't been anywhere with her in a long time. What time are you bringing her tomorrow?"

"After dinner, I think," Monica replied. "Let them both rest in peace."

"Don't spoil them with all that junk food."

"I won't, Auntie. I'll see you soon."

They reached the place, and Monika honked and got out of the car. Baśka almost immediately left the house and rushed to hug her. The girl loved her cousin, even though there were more than ten years between them. Tymek's mother almost broke her heart when she realized how similar the siblings are to each other. She packed her things into the trunk and, to Basia's satisfaction, let her sit in the front.

"Hi Tymek," she greeted the boy, getting into the car.

"Hi," he replied and crossed his arms across his chest, implying he wasn't going to say anything more.

Monika sighed heavily, so the rivalry was still deep. Baśka, however, was too excited about the trip to accept the challenge for the moment.

"Are you happy?" she asked the younger cousin.

"Yes." The girl nodded. "But I'm a little sad too. Today is Błażej's birthday, I would like him to come with us," she added, clasping her hands on her knees.

"We're not going to the zoo!" Tymek suddenly exclaimed before Monika could speak. "We're having a surprise party for my uncle!"

"Really?" asked the shocked Baśka and looked incredulously at her cousin. "Mom and Dad wouldn't approve."

"That's why they think we're going to the zoo," said Monika with a malicious smile. "I hope you don't talk later."

"Of course not," said the girl. "Does Błażej know I'll be there?"

"No, so I think this will be the biggest surprise for him."

"Will he be happy to see me?" Basia replied a bit worried, she had not seen her brother for a long time, although she missed him.

"I am sure, you don't have to worry about that."

The girl smiled faintly while Tymek went on talking about what he had prepared for the party. Monika was sure that he didn't want to make her sad, he only boasted about his achievements, of which he was extremely proud. Glancing at her cousin, however, she saw she was sorry she could not participate and help in the preparations. Turns out that wasn't her only concern.

"Monika, I don't have a gift for Błażej," said the girl. "I took some of my savings."

"Relax, I also have two helpers, so we can afford to go for a little shopping."