Chapter Ninety-Six

"Alright, I'll talk to her, but..." Cielo furrows her eyebrows, leaning against the doorway and crossing her arms, Diana a few steps ahead of her with her back turned to her. "Dean, are you sure?" Diana asks into the phone again reaching up to rub her temple. She's quiet for a beat, listening to Dean's response. "Because we're playing with fire," Diana whispers. "She's just getting back on her feet, we can't involve her in this."

Cielo can make out Dean's muffled reply, not able to make out what he says. But she huffs, immediately knowing what this is about. They got a lead on Cain.

She bit the inside of her cheek, looking down at the exposed mark on her arm before she looked back up at Diana. Diana sighed heavily out of frustration as she hung up the phone and set the phone on the table. She turns around and freezes when she sees Cielo's stern expression.

Panic crossed Diana's face before she masked it with a neutral expression, swallowing down the panic in her throat. "Hey," she says. Cielo just stares at her. "Guessing you heard?"

"Mhm," Cielo hums, not moving. "Does it have to do with Tolliver?"

Diana sighs, biting her tongue. "They think it was Cain."

Cielo clenched her jaw, anger already starting to bubble in her chest as she thought back to her previous encounter with Cain. "Do they even know where he is."

Diana shakes her head. "Lead is pretty damn weak but Dean is hell-bent on pursing it."

"So..." Cielo trailed off. "What, are they coming back?"

Diana hesitates for a beat before she nods. "Couple hours."

Cielo sighs, getting up from her position and walking out of the library, desperately needing a cup of coffee.

Cielo bit the inside of her cheek in thought after Sam, Dean, and Cas had explained what happened to her and Diana. Blood boiled in Cielo's veins as she listened to Cain's conversation with Castiel. Even more when she learned about just how many people Cain has killed.

"I'm sorry I couldn't bring better news, Cielo," Castiel told her sincerely.

"It's not your fault, Cas," she replied with a sigh.

"Alright," Sam announced, sitting back in his seat by Cielo. "The sheriff gave me a few more names, some preliminary I.D.s on the bodies."

"And?" Dean asked, moving around urgently.

"And it seems to fit Cas' story," Sam answered. "I mean, there's no way to tell the relation to Cain, obviously, but he's wiping out entire families, one after another."

Cielo sighs out a curse, holding her head in her hands.

"So, who's next?" Diana asked. "Is he done with the Tollivers?"

"Uh, I think so," Sam said, the sounds of his typing filling Cielo's ears as she looked over at him. "I mean, Leon didn't have any siblings or any other children I can see, and Tommy was never married, so I..." Cielo lifts her head at Sam's silence. "Oh, come on," he huffs. "Dammit."

"What?" Castiel questions, coming up behind Cielo and Sam.

"Tommy did have a son, estranged, who lives with his mother in Ohio," he reads. "Austin Reynolds, 12 years old."

"Is he still alive?" Cielo asks hopefully, her heart pounding in her chest.

Sam's fingers click the keys again as he reads the screen. "As of an hour ago, yeah. He updated his status."