Chapter 7.1

Chapter 7.1

Jungle Fever

The Cosmos jungle was a very dense and mysterious jungle. Before, it had been home to an array of species. But since The Order took up residence in the jungle, a lot of them had disappeared. Also due to The Orders cruel experiments to create artificial beast men, the remaining species have become deformed, mutated, half-man half-beast creatures with the sole purpose of being used as foot soldiers for The Order. Now as the I.M infiltration force walked through the jungle, the silence of it scared them. On top of that, every few kilometers they walked, they could hear the pained cries of these monsters, causing them to wonder when one would jump out of the thick jungle foliage and attack them. This caused them to remain on guard, their rifles cocked and ready as they scanned their perimeter for the monsters of the jungle. All of them were afraid, except for one man.

That man’s name, or call sign, was The King. Even though they were in a dangerous forest and in the heart of enemy territory, he walked as if he were in a public park, laid-back and nonchalant. He looked around at the scenery, but not with an anxious look but with a calm one instead, taking it in to cool himself.

Anna Smith, the second in command of the mission, was a bit worried and fascinated by the King’s behavior. Worried because he wasn’t serious about the mission. Fascinated by the fact that he could be so composed in this jungle of death.

‘You know King…..it really amazes me by how you can remain so calm….considering the situation we’re in’.

‘And what situation would that be Ma’am.......’

‘The one where we’re in a forest filled with monstrous beasts, heading to an Order base guarded by god knows what and doing that with a bunch of trainee soldiers….’

‘Heh….That ain’t a situation, that’s an average day in my books.

‘……Of course it is…..’, Anna said, looking at him skeptically.

The little conversation between Anna and King amused their mission commander, Gordon Ryder. He understood King better as he had once been like that as well, reckless, hot headed and carefree. So his attitude towards the mission didn’t surprise him one bit.

‘Anna stop worrying about him…..he can take care of himself. Am I right, King?’

‘That’s right Sir’, King said, his attention focused on a passing butterfly.

‘Hey I was just showing my concern Ryder, after all isn’t that what comrades do?’

‘……I don’t need comrade compassion’, King replied, cold as usual.

‘You can’t fool me King’, Anna said, smiling at King, ruffling his hair before he could stop her.

‘Whatever…..And besides Ma’am….I think you should be worried more about them’, King responded jerking his left thumb at the groups behind him.

‘What makes you think they can’t handle themselves’? Ryder asked.

‘Oh they can handle themselves, that ain’t the problem’

‘Then what is?’, Anna prodded further.

‘The problem is fear……They’re scared and it shows very clearly. And I’m worried that this fear will cause’em to make mistakes if we run into a fight….That’s why it’s best I go in first if anyone or anything pops up’.

‘And I thought you said you didn’t care’, Anna said as she listened to King, making him blush slightly.

‘King you have a point there.....so I’ll leave any big bad monsters that jumps up to you then’.

‘Oorah!’ King replied, using the Marines’ signature battle call as an answer.

Maria watched as The King and her superior officers were talking, barely able to hear bits and piece of their conversation. Due to his sudden appearance, Team Infinity had been asked to trail slightly behind the three of them. This irritated Maria as she felt that her team were being looked down upon.

‘I really don’t like that guy’, Maria complained.

‘Maria! Not so loud….He could hear you’.

‘Well that’s the point Rose-chan.’

‘Maria-chan remember what the principle said….Don‘t pick any fights’, Helena reminded Maria.

‘I know…I know. It’s the only reason why I haven’t clobbered that guy over the head’, Maria said letting out her frustration.

‘Don’t worry Maria-Onee-chan, you’ll get your chance to make King look like a fool’.

‘You’re right Elisa-chan…..and I can’t wait for it’.