Chapter 11.1

Chapter 11.1

Midnight trek

The rest of the I.M soldiers were being led by Captain Gordon Ryder and acting second-in-command Lieutenant Christopher Jacobs through the Jungle in the pouring rain to their objective. It had been 7 hours since they had been brutally attacked by The Orders genetically mutated Beast men which resulted in almost 1/5 of the troops ending up either dead or injured. Many of the survivors were still shook up from the recent attack but none of them were trying to show it, instead concentrating on the mission. The occasional sniffling or cursing could be heard but other than that, everybody was holding it together. Except for Helena….

‘Dammit! How could we let Maria fall!? I shouldn’t have left her!’, Helena cursed herself, for the umpteenth time, as she and the rest of Team Infinity trudged along at their usual position at the front.

‘Helena! Stop blaming yourself will you? We all feel bad, but we need to concentrate on the mission’, Rose told Helena firmly, even though she was feeling exactly the same way.

‘Yeah Helena-chan. At least we know that Maria-Onee-chan is still alive…… On top of that she’s with King-sama so she should be ok’, Elisa butted in trying to calm Helena down, while she herself was trying her hardest to hold back her tears.

‘I know…..I just feel so useless now! I really wish I could just rush to Maria’s side….’, Helena said, clenching her TAR 21 Rifle’s handle tightly.

‘Sir we’re almost at the infiltration point…..should we take a minute before we proceed?’, Lieutenant Christopher asked Ryder.

‘No time for that Chris…..The faster we get this done the better’, Ryder replied with a solemn face.

Even though Ryder wasn’t showing it, he as actually very worried. He had lost his second in command and his top fighter in the span of a few hours and his remaining troops were heavily disheartened form the ambush, even though they had come out victorious. These were not the ideal conditions to conduct a raid so Ryder was praying that what Geo had said was true and they would not be going up against a large force at the base.

But that was only half the reason for Ryder’s worry. He was also worried about Anna. He’d lost her tracker signal about an hour ago, after they fired the EMP missile over the base, which suggested she was somewhere within the base. To Ryder this could only mean two things, one she had been captured or two….she had been killed. Of course, Ryder was praying with all his heart that the latter had not come true.

‘Please be ok Anna’, Ryder prayed as he spotted the gates on the west side of the base.

‘All troops halt!’, Ryder whispered into the comms device as he raised his right fist, signaling for them to stop but remain on alert.

After he took a quick look behind him to make sure the soldiers had followed his instructions, Ryder moved forward cautiously to the steel fence.