What a Mess (Chapter 22)

Sky's POV:

"Are you sure she isn't just saying that because he's got money? Come on B, there's no way Asher is my brother. I love the kid to death, but there's no way we're related," I say as we walk into the doctor's office together.

"Would it surprise you if it was true? I mean, no offense Sky, but your mom isn't exactly...the cleanest lady I've ever met," Brady tries to say as nicely as possible.

I roll my eyes and plop down in one of the chairs in the waiting room. "She's a whore. You can say it Brady. As far as I'm concerned, she's not my mother. She's just a messed up woman who housed me for 9 years. I can't even say she's took care of me."

Brady sighs and sits beside me, patting my knee slightly. "Let's just see what the test says okay?"

I nod and rest my head against the bare wall behind me, closing my eyes.

"Hey man," I hear Asher's pubescent voice and sit up as he and Brady do their usual handshake.

He looks over at me then and smiles, giving me a small wave. "Hey Sky."

I smile a bit and nod to him. "Asher, sorry to drag you out here for something so crazy."

"Don't worry about it. I've always wanted to know who my birth mother is. It wouldn't be so bad if you were my sister," Asher replies with a small shrug.

I smile again and open my mouth to say something, but the nurse calls Asher in. "Asher Angel?"

"We'll be right here when you're done. Uh, is it weird to say good luck? I don't know how to handle this," Brady admits, scratching the back of his neck.

Asher chuckles and I shake my head, waving him toward the door. "We'll see you soon."

As he disappears through the door with the nurse, I look over at Brady. "Would it really be so bad if you guys were related?" He asks.

I sigh and shake my head. "Of course not, but Brady, I don't know how to be a good sister. I didn't exactly have years of practice like Casey did."

Brady smiles and looks down at me. "That's what you're worried about? Sky, You've been a sister to me since we took you in. You know exactly what you're doing. You're going to be a great sister to him if you guys really are related."

He nudges me lightly with his shoulder and I crack a small smile. "Thanks B. You're a great best friend...and brother."

I flip through a magazine while I nervously wait for Asher to come back out. I bounce my knee anxiously, biting at my lip a few times. The door opens again after fifteen minutes and Asher walks out, thanking the nurse.

I set the magazine down and stand up, running my fingers through my hair. "So?"

Asher gives me a small shrug and holds his arms out. "Hi sis."

My mouth falls open slightly and my eyes widen. "It's true?"

He nods and bites his lip slightly. I nod slightly and wrap my arms around him in a gentle hug.

"Okay. Okay, well, we can figure this out. I may be a shitty sister at first, but just stick with me okay?" I mumble softly.

I feel Asher smile and hug me back. "I think you're going to be a great sister. You've already been an amazing friend."

"That's exactly what I said," Brady stands up and butts in then and I roll my eyes playfully.

"Oh whatever B. Wipe that smug look off of your face," I state bluntly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chance's POV: