Casted Part 21

At the doctor's office the next day we have a long conversation about what going off of chemo would mean for my health. To no surprise, the tumor would start to spread without the chemotherapy and I would start to see the side effects he had mentioned when he first found the tumor.

 "I really think you should stick with it. It's the best option for you, even if it's making you tired," The doctor paused for a moment, looking down at his notes before he continues, "However, I've been doing some more research and there is one other option we can try," he offers. I look at Chance for a moment before I nod slowly. 

"What is it?" I ask cautiously. 

"We do a surgery to remove the tumor. It's risky because it's such a big chunk of your brain that we'd have to remove. You could experience amnesia. Or your personality could change. There's a chance you'll wake up and not be able to speak at all. It's a high risk, but it is possible," the doctor explains. 

Chance raises an eyebrow and squeezes my hand. "That sounds way too risky to try Babe."

 "But what if it gets me my life back Chance?" 

"Yeah? And what if it doesn't?" Chance snaps back. I swallow hard and look down, taking a deep breath to keep from crying.

 "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap. I'm just scared I could lose you Sky," Chance reassures, squeezing my hand again. 

"I know you are. I don't want to leave you, but I have to try. I want to live a long and happy life with you. I want to be able to have kids and listen to their little feet running around someday. I want to watch them grow up and have kids of their own. I want to continue to sing and inspire people and act. I can't do that with this tumor," I respond quietly. 

Chance sighs and kisses my temple before nodding. "Okay. Fine. Let's give it a try." 

The doctor writes a few things down before he calls the nurses on his phone. "We are going to get you in now. The tumor can't have more time to grow." 

I start to panic then and look at Chance with wide eyes. "What? Now? But-" Chance cuts me off and kneels in front of me. 

"Hey look at me. It's going to be okay, I promise." I rest my forehead against his, squeezing my eyes shut. He grabs my shaking hands in his. 

"Promise me you'll love me after this. Even if I forget some stuff. Even if my personality changes or I can't talk. Please." 

Chance runs his fingers through my hair lightly and kisses me softly for a moment. "Of course I'll love you. I promise. I'll be right here when you wake up, and so will your friends," he whispers.

~~~~

My eyes slowly flutter open and the first thing I see is a bright, blinding light. I'm dead. I think to myself. I failed Chance and I gave up. The light subsides though, and around it is grayish mortar. I blink and breathe in deeply in relief. I finally recognize this place as the hospital. I'm fully aware of the hard, uncomfortable bed beneath me and the IV that's stuck in my arm. I can feel that my hair is matted down and there's something around my head. I look down and see the familiar, ugly green hospital gown and my bracelet that tells who I am. "Skylynn Heart. 22 years old. In patient: Brain Tumor." I read the information on the bracelet. Wait! Chance! Is he here? I look around then finally, taking in the blank, peeling walls and the few cabinets that add a bit of brown to the mix. My eyes land on a boy with dark brown, messy hair and dark eyes. He looks exhausted and based on the crease in his forehead, he's worried. He has his hands around his mouth and he's staring at the wall on the far side of the room blindly. 

"Chance..." My voice comes out hoarsely and I wince at the sound. Chance jumps slightly and looks over at me. 

"Sky?" He asks. I slowly reach my hand out to him and he nearly trips over his feet to get to me, kneeling next to the bed and grabs my hand in his.