Learn to Love Again (Part 5)

Rae's POV:

A few hours later I'm standing backstage, staring at my reflection in the mirror. I'm wearing a long black dress that's pretty low cut and has a long slit up my right leg. Along all the seams, the dress is decorated with gold sequins. My hair is pulled back into a curly low bun, my makeup dark to bring out my eyes. 

I look up when Brady walks in and bite the inside of my cheek. He eyes me for a moment quietly.

"You look really beautiful Rae," he whispers after a minute. I give him a small smile and look down at my hands.

"Ready?" He asks, shoving his hands in his pockets, changing the subject. I nod and slide my hand around his elbow as we walk to our seats, putting on smiles for all the fans and celebrities around us. We sit down next to the boys, me between Brady and Chance. 

Chance grins at me and whispers against my ear. "You look beautiful sis. You're going to make it through this tonight. I'll be right here if you need me." 

I smile a bit and kiss his cheek. "Thanks Chance." I hear Brady whine beside me and he pulls me against him. 

"Babe you're mine. Not his." He says playfully. I giggle and blush. I mentally slap myself because I should not let him affect me. It's taking everything in me not to like Brady, but it's hard when I was so in love with him at one time.

"Wouldn't dream of being with anyone else. Besides, he's my brother." I look up at him and he smiles that adorable, dimpled smile of his, making my heart flutter. 

Damn it. Stop thinking like that.

I kiss his cheek softly, and turn my attention to the stage quietly.

Half an hour into the show, Brady and I are introduced as announcers of the next award. We smile and wave as the fans in the audience cheer, and everyone else claps politely.

"You know B, there are a lot of good kisses out there this year," I start with a smile.

"Really? You think the on screen chemistry this year was good?" He asks.

"Well don't you?" I reply, looking up at him.

Brady shrugs. "Eh, it was alright. I'm pretty sure I could do better."

"Oh really? I think you should prove it then," I state, raising an eyebrow.

Brady grins and grabs my waist, pulling me against him. He leans down and presses his lips against mine softly. I let out a small gasp and kiss him back immediately, my heart racing. He slowly pulls away and winks, leaning over to speak into the mic.

"The nominees for best on screen chemistry are..." I can hear the fans gasping and whispering around us, trying to process what they just witnessed.

After the video plays I open the envelope. "And the winner is..."

"Zac Earon and Zendaya from The Greatest Showman!" We shout together, and the audience erupts in loud applause and cheers.

As we walk off stage, I lightly brush my fingers over my lips, replaying the kiss with Brady in my head. Why do I feel so giddy inside? It's like I'm a teenager again. It's like I'm in love. No...I can't be. Not with him. Not with Brady.

——————

We have a day off from the tour the next day, so we make a unanimous decision to go to the beach and enjoy the beautiful weather in South Carolina. Brady and I know we have to be together in case people recognize us. He holds my hand as we walk down to the water, our fingers loosely laced together. We lay out towels far enough away from the water so they don't get wet, and I kick off my shoes.