What a Mess (Chapter 24)

"He has temporary paralysis," The doctor informs after running some tests.

"What does temporary mean? He has a career, a family," Shawnee replies solemnly.

The doctor shakes his head, giving us a look of pity. "It could be hours, days, weeks. It's hard to say given the impact during the accident. You guys have to be patient."

As the doctor leaves, Shawnee sighs and leans down to kiss Chance's forehead. "I'm so sorry baby. I'm just glad you're alive."

Chance gives her a weak smile and looks around at everyone. "You guys are okay?"

We all nod and the boys wave him off, telling him not to worry.

"You got the worst of it Chance," I whisper lightly. He looks at me then with big eyes.

"Me? You look pretty battered. I wish I could have do-" I shake my head.

"Don't. There was nothing you could have done. Nothing any of us could have done okay? It was a freak accident because of the weather. I'm fine Chance. I'll heal okay? So will you," I respond before he can even finish his thought.

Chance sighs and closes his eyes. "Paralysis? We have that battle of the bands show next week. I cant be paralyzed for that or we won't even make it to the next round."

"You're tough remember? You'll pull through. You should rest," I mumble softly, bringing his hand to my lips to kiss it softly.

He looks over at me for a second. "You should too."

A nurse knocks on the door then and peeks her head in. "Sorry to interrupt, but I was told to move an extra bed in here for a Miss Skylynn Heart?"

I raise an eyebrow slightly and look at the boys but they shrug and look just as confused as I am.

"I asked them to bring one in. I figured you guys would want to rest together. Plus I hear being around the one you love makes you heal faster," Presley admits with a small smile.

I look at Chance and then at Presley and smile. "Thanks Pres, you're amazing."

The nurse brings the bed in and slowly helps me into it, careful not to move my ribs or leg in a way that would hurt. Once I'm situated I reach over and slide my fingers through Chance's.

"We'll all take turns staying with you guys. Get some rest. Both of you," Coleen says softly, lightly kissing my forehead and then Chance's. Shawnee does the same, and we fall asleep holding each other's hand.

——————

A few days have passed now and Chance still can't move his legs. I'm going stir crazy, and even though he can't go anywhere, I know Chance is going stir crazy too.

"How about I go get us some ice cream?" I ask Chance quietly.

He sighs and nods, flipping through the tv stations. I sigh slightly and kiss his cheek softly.

"Brady help me out," I say softly. Brady grabs my wheelchair and helps me into it, wheeling me to the cafeteria.

I pick up some mint chocolate chip ice cream for Chance and I and as we near the room, I hear a voice I'd rather not hear.

"I'm so glad you're okay Chance. I've been worried sick, but Shawnee wouldn't let me in to see you. I had to sneak in here just to make sure you're alright," I hear Emma say.

Chance sighs slightly. "Okay? I'm paralyzed and miserable. I can't do anything. I can't practice with the boys, or be with my girlfriend. All I can do is hold my babies, and even that's tough because I don't have full movement back in my arms."