What a Mess (Chapter 12)

Sky's POV:

I walk into the hospital with a big sigh and walk over to the reception desk.

"Excuse me. I'm looking for Carry Heart's room please," I state politely, tapping my foot impatiently.

"Room 304." The receptionist gives me a small smile.

"Thanks." I start walking again when someone grabs my arm. I turn around and come face to face with Chance. 

"Can you tell me what's going on please? You don't even seem the slightest bit worried that your mom is in the hospital," he says, his eyebrows drawn together in worry.

I shake my head as I continue walking. "I told you before that my mom is in and out of rehab for alcohol and drug abuse. She does this all the time. She causes a scene in the rehab center by hurting herself and they send her here. She calls me and expects me to bring her money. I'm so sick of it!" 

Chance grabs my arm again and when I spin around to yell at him, he simply kisses my forehead and gives my hand a gentle squeeze. "I'm here for you okay? Whatever I can do."

I sigh and take a deep breath. "Thank you Chance. I'm sorry for dragging you along."

"Are you crazy? I want to be here to support you," he whispers.

I take his hand in mine again and we walk to my mom's room together.

As soon as I open the door, I hear her voice.

"Skyyyy! You came!" She purrs and I wince slightly.

"Why are you here? You're supposed to be in rehab remember?" I ask, leaning against the wall.

My mom's eyes travel to Chance and she smiles. "Who is this handsome man?"

I look over my shoulder at Chance and he smiles a bit. My face softens and I lean against him. "This is my boyfriend, Chance. Chance this is Carry."

"Oh you could at least call me your mom baby," my mom replies.

I roll my eyes. "As far as I'm concerned, you aren't my mom. Moms don't abandon their child for alcohol and drugs."

"I didn't abandon you-"

"Oh please! I've always been second place to pills and beer and crack and heroine and god knows what else!" I say, starting to get angry.

My mom looks away, staring out the window. "It's not my fault."

"Not your fault? Why because you started using and drinking after dad died? You don't get to use him as an excuse for this behavior. He never would have wanted this. He would have wanted you to raise your daughter the way you guys did when he was alive. Instead, you left. Brady's family had to take me in because you were never there!" I let a tear slide down my cheek, quickly wiping it away.

My mom scoffs. "Coleen is putting stuff in your head. She's no good for you."

"No, you're no good for me. Coleen took me in and raised me like her own child. She's more of a mother to me than you'll ever be. All you do is call me when you need money. And that money is spent on drugs and more alcohol. You go back to rehab swearing you'll get clean, and then you hurt yourself and end up here. Then you call me again. It's a vicious cycle." I shake my head slightly, Chance rubbing my back gently and soothingly.

"Then why are you here? Don't pretend like I do this to you when you're the one who keeps showing up," my mom hisses.

"Unbelievable. I came to tell you that I have no money to give you and that I'm done. I'm done hoping that maybe this time will be different. Tired of praying that I can have my mom back. I'm not doing this anymore," I respond, sliding my fingers through Chance's.