What a Mess (Chapter 29)

Chance's POV:

"Don't hurt her," I mumble, sliding Sky behind me to try and protect her.

One of the guys laughs and shakes his head. "Wow, you're going to try and play the hero huh? Let me tell you that won't work for you. She'll be the first one dead if we don't get what we want."

"And what do you want?" Sky asks from behind me.

I tense up as the guy squats down and trails his hand along her cheek for the second time. "Freedom. Our names need to be completely wiped from police records, they need to let us walk away with our money, and they need to get my brother out of jail."

"If he's in jail, he must have done something wrong," Sky continues quietly.

The guy sneers and shakes his head. "He did nothing wrong. He's in jail because he wouldn't rat out his boss. He took the fall for a murder he didn't commit."

"So let the police do their work and clear him. You don't have to hold all of us hostage," Sky insists.

The guy laughs and shakes his head again. "I see what you're trying to do sweetheart, and it won't work. The police have 50 minutes and counting to do everything we asked, or you die."

I tighten my grip around Sky's waist and she whimpers slightly. "It'll be okay," I whisper in her ear.

I watch as the two guys mumble amongst each other. They're both distracted so I slowly move onto my knees, ready to grab the guns they set down on the table beside them. 

Sky must sense my plan because she grabs my wrist quickly. "Chance, no, you can't."

"I won't let them hurt you Sky," I whisper back. I glance at the guys again and lunge for the guns. The guys see me move and reach for them at the same time. I get ahold of one, but the bigger guy knocks me down and wrestles the gun out of my hand. 

"Chance!" Sky yells with wide eyes.

The other guy it holds his gun to my head and I close my eyes, breathing hard.

"Please don't! Don't kill him please!" Sky shouts and I can tell she's crying because her voice is shaky.

The main guy looks at her for a moment and sneers, punching me in the gut. I grunt and pull my knees up to my chest, rolling onto my side. He punches me again, this time in the jaw and I hear Sky shriek. I open my eyes and see that the other guy has grabbed Sky by her hair, dragging her over to me. My jaw clenches even through the pain and I try to get up, but the main guy holds me down and laughs.

"You want to see what happens when you try to act out and be a hero?" He asks mockingly.

He forces me to watch, holding my jaw tightly, as the other guy pulls out a knife and swipes it across Sky's chest, forming a deep gash just under her collarbone. She cries out, tears streaming down her face and I squirm underneath the guy, struggling to try and get to her.

"Don't try anything cute again, got it?" He sneers.

I nod quickly and he stands back up. I groan and pull myself over to Sky, pressing my hand against the gash in her chest.

"I am so sorry. Oh my god. Just breathe," I mutter, kissing her forehead.

"If anyone else wants to try anything, I'll just shoot you. You won't be so lucky!"

Sky whimpers and squeezes her eyes shut, breathing hard. I kiss her forehead again and brush some hair out of her face. "It's going to be okay baby. I promise."

——————

Sky's POV:

I take a deep breath, keeping my eyes closed. My hands are shaking in a mix of pain and fear. Chance's arms are around me and his hand is pressed against my chest, trying to slow the bleeding.